Is there a way to have layers that, when activated, turn off other layers?

That’s interesting, but the extra clicking has been moved from the Tray to the CAD window.

Thx tho.

Dunno. I haven’t tried SU 2021.

There is an unrelated feature that may give you some of what you want, and it does exist in Make 2017. In the View menu is Component Edit, and in there you can choose to hide the rest of the model while you are working inside a component. You also can choose to hide other copies of the same component.

Yeah, I know about that. I don’t see it working for me in this context tho.

s4u Layer seems interesting for controlling the view of components–although I’m pretty happy with the functionality of the Outliner for that. The OP and I are interested in one-click options for tag visibility.

s4u Layer isolates a layer (which may contain several different components, groups, geometries, dimensions, etc.), turning off all the others layers (which also can contain other objects or geometries), with a single click, as you saw in the presentation clip.

Thanks Mihai. That’s pretty interesting! I find that these demonstration videos sometimes move too fast to see what’s really happening. And in this case, the video was too small (even at full screen) for my aging eyes to read the text without my glasses! :sunglasses:

So I splurged $10 and dowloaded it. I have a question and a comment: is there any way to avoid having this pop up every time I “solo” a layer?

I select “No” because I always want “Layer0” on (I keep Layer0 empty).

My initial feedback after 3 minutes of playing is that the Isolate tool is exactly what I was looking for! :tada:
I only wish it were a toggle where I could click it again to turn off rather than having to use the “previous” arrow. This would allow me to put just the isolate tool in my tool bar.

Thanks for chiming in! I think this is one of those extensions that should be included in basic SU functionality. Good work!

FWIW, it is implemented in the 3D viewer of Trimble Connect
(Access through the browser, not the mobile viewers)
Isolation of layers:

and objects:
isolate

Set a shortcut for ‘Isolate’, click on N for ‘No’ and you’ll remain with only one click for select a layer. :wink:

Thanks, but I can’t keep track of all the shortcuts I have now! :slight_smile: I can type the “n”–no big deal–but FWIW, I don’t think most users following SU best practices need or want to turn off layer0, so it would be nice to answer that question once and have it stick until further notice. Thanks again!

I don’t know whether this helps but you might like to try a little Ruby extension that I wrote two years ago called Toggler. This doesn’t use layers to control visibilities but allows you to add any group to a toggle group and then click from one to another like a slideshow. The toggle group gets saved with the model.

You can try it here

Toggler