Is Maintenance and Support, a joke?

I had similar issues when 2018 first came out. Eventually, I gave up and went back to 2015 SketchUp. I ignored the new revision.
Just for grins, I reinstalled 2018 about eight months ago to see if it would work without crashing. To my great surprise, it worked flawlessly! I have been using it without a hitch, no more crashing and it works just great.
It appears when SketchUp comes out with a new revision, it takes them about a year to finally “iron out all the bugs.”
I will give them another year before I even think of installing SketchUp 2019. In the interim, I will keep using what works, SketchUp 2018!

1 Like

As far as i know, there was no Maintenance Release for 2018 (for Windows)…
https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/older-release-notes

1 Like

The forum is full of posts by team members (and sages) recommending files be opened locally, and then later synced to cloud storage. This results from many many people noticing lag when directly working with files in cloud storage.

@Barry There aught to be a Help Center article on this by now but I could not find one by searching “DropBox”.

3 Likes

I work off Drop Box all day everyday. I used to pause syncing while I work because I anticipated problems but I had none. Now I just keep it on. I suspect the quality of internet band width and network may play a role. Also I am doing it wirelessly and still no lag. Humm.

3 Likes

I do the same thing and have been doing that for a couple of years and have never encountered any problems with that.

1 Like

We use Trimble Connect to move our information from our Data Collector and RTS from field to office. Work it in TBS HCE and then save it to Dropbox where I grab it store it on my local drives for use in HCE the export from TBS as a .DWG into SU19 for the VR and Rendering. I then move it back into Trimble Connect for storage till ready to render and it goes into DB as a MP4/JPEG.
I save on local drives and post render my day on local drives so if anyone has an idea how I should rearrange the daily flow i am all ears.
You all have been a great help, with a huge shout out to GSTUDIOS. I have been on the boards for a long time lurking (under a diff name) now i got the ok to go public and post so I hope to learn more and be able to help out in anyway I can.

3 Likes

could be our bandwidth, I’m in a job trailer right now in west texas, all of us are running off a 1gb sat link. I know that just the up-down of construction prints through out the day is very high on the BW scale.

I’ve worked straight out of a Dropbox folder for two years or something without any issues. Actually Dropbox saved me from data loss due to a nasty issue in LayOut.

I wanted to relink a handful of viewports to another model, but not the others, which LO completely lacks support for. To get around it I opened a temporary session of the same file, relinked the model for all viewports and copied the viewports I wanted over to my working session. The problem was that LO doesn’t (or at least didn’t at the time) mark the document as read only if it was already opened, and when closing LO I simply confirmed to save the open documents as I always do, and the temporary file was saved over the working file. Had it not been for Dropbox’s version control I would have lost half that day’s work due to a non-standard behavior in LO.

1 Like

Windows 10 does in the meanwhile have a history-based file versioning system on a local drive too (Video).

Alternatively a periodic syncing with third-party applications as ‘Genie9 Timeline’ or ‘Sincovery’ might be used.

1 Like

I don’t know what happened or what they did to make SketchUp 2018 to work better, but it does. Furthermore, it works great on the same computer setup as when it continually crashed previously. Whatever happened to make it work is terrific, I’m now happy as a clam with SketchUp 2018.

2 Likes

With regards to Sketch up Maintenance and Support I would like to clarify for everyone the efforts made thus far by Trimble. I pride myself in making sure character is first and with that comes transparency. My manager was in Las Vegas today for a large conference were Trimble was presenting the newest, latest and greatest including Sketchup 2019. He was able to speak with someone at their booth and within an hour M&S reached out to me with a fallow up.

I would like to thank M&S and say, that I truly believe that any issue I had with them is now in the past and hope they follow through with my IT dept. in guards to the build and structure we have in place to meet anything they need from us. With that said here is the message I received today, there is a shout out to you guy in there too;

Hi Kristopher,

Thanks for your reply. We had a hiccup in tracking this case in our system and apologize for the delay in our response. It looks like you were able to resolve the issue on the SketchUp Community Forum ( Great! ) here: Is Maintenance and Support, a joke? - #46 by WilksEarthworks. If this is not the same issue, please let us know a good time and phone number to reach you and we will assist further. Once again, we apologize for this and hope to provide more prompt assistance in the future.

Please reply to this email if you need further assistance with this specific issue. If you have a different issue, please fill out a new ticket at: Contact Support | SketchUp Help. Thank you for keeping our ticketing ecosystem healthy!

Regards,

redacted

The SketchUp Team at Trimble Inc.

2 Likes

I tell you what that is a huge thumbs up in my opinion to you guys… Lets keep up helping each other and I look forward to keeping you all in the loop with progress on what we findout.

3 Likes

I work in technical customer support for a large IT company and I think you should have contacted your rep on day 2 if you were production down. I haven’t looked at Trimble’s Service Level Objectives for their support cases, but for a production down issue our SLO is a response in 2 hours for our products. You’d need to look at the information Trimble provided you when you signed up for their support.

1 Like

“Declassification will bring down the House” :grinning:

Sadly I agree although Timble only uses outside contracts for their support teams.
Whether it is Bangladesh or Sitech (state side) you will have a very hard time contacting anyone in house. My rep was unresponsive and still to this day is unresponsive in regards to sales or service.
Matter a fact if Trimble is viewing this thread feel free to have a new sales rep in the Southwest contact me. (not Texoma/Texarkana)

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.