Is A GT 640 Good Enough?

advice
components

Hello,
I’m building a PC to use SketchIp and SoftPlan (actually building it for a relative so I don’t have experience building PCs for this specific use) using some parts of my old PC. These are the specs I’m thinking about, please let me know if this is good enough. Any advice is appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" SSD
Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
Video Card: HP GT 640 4GB

Looks like a fairly well balanced system for small to medium sized models and minimal rendering.

The age of the hardware in combination with the operating system choice may cause problems re driver compatibility.

Softplan requirements

Increasing the ram to 16GB helps with multi tasking and renders at higher resolution.

I’d start with a 4th gen i5 if it was me. In looking at those parts I see that the MB is fairly expensive, $229 at NewEgg.com. You could just start off with a refurb PC from Newegg like this Dell Precision T1700, It has a 5th gen i5-4570 with 8 gb of ram for just a few dollars more ($240) than the price of the above motherboard alone. It also includes a copy of Windows 10 pro.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAAJ27AA5313
Add in your SSD, storage drive and video card and you’re good to go.

In fact I just ordered this one for a family member. It should be in this week. I had a spare M.2 128 gb ssd that I am going to be installing (with an adapter card). It should be a good setup for them.

Well the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and GPU are being bought super cheap ($170 total), that’s why I didn’t go with something newer.

Ah got it. I was looking at higher prices then. $170 is not bad at all for what you are getting. :+1:

I am still quite happy with my old QuadroFX 1800 card that hasn’t even the currently required minimum memory and has to do with 64 CUDA cores. Your GT 640 is faster (384 cores…)