Ipad App Import Export STL?

Thanks @fzmnm, noted. OBJ import is probably going to take a while. We’ve got STL import in the works, then planning to shift over to supporting import/export for PDF and DWG…

1 Like

What about USDZ? There’s no way to import a model from procreate. Obj would also allow it.

@fzmnm and others… quick update here to let you know that today’s release of v6.1.2 includes the ability to import STL files.

There are two paths available for importing STL files:

1. From the home screen, choose Open From, and then choose the STL file that you would like to open. The STL file will be converted to an SKP file when opened.
  2. With a model open, tap the Import icon in the Main toolbar (top left of the screen) and then choose the STL file you want to import.

@JQL Lots still to do… USDz import is definitely on the list.

We’ve noticed a few users are crashing on STL imports: I tested and grabbed some STL files from the usual sources on the internet and things looked fine.

If you have a troublesome STL file, could you please Direct Message me and share the file, or if it’s public, give me the URL you got it from? Thanks.

Barry

I an finding STL gets very tesselated with rounded or curved items. Is there a file format that does to make tesselation / triangles you can support?

What about supporting shapr3D files types so we can use both Ipad apps more seamlessly in our workflow.

The nature of .stl files is that they are triangulated. They’re supposed to be like that.

@syburn perhaps more to your question/challenge…

Shapr3D and SketchUp are fundamentally different kinds of 3D modeling apps. Shapr3D has licensed their underlying modeling kernel, Parasolid, from a company called Siemens (more info on that here: https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002209813-What-s-Parasolid-). As you’ll see, from the description offered on Shapr3D’s website, they call out a number of other 3D modeling applications that also use the Parasolid kernel, most of which are commonly classified as Mechanical CAD (or MCAD) software, focused primarily on offering solutions to customers within segments of the industrial and product design markets.

SketchUp, by comparison, has developed and maintained its own underlying geometry kernel.

Parasolid’s kernel is a boundary representation (B-rep) solid modeler.
SketchUp’s kernel is a winged-edge surface modeler.

Interoperability between these two technologies requires a means of exchanging data in a way that can be commonly understood. As you have noted, the current path for going from Shapr3D to SketchUp involves exporting from Shapr3D as an STL file, which then converts the B-rep to a polygonal mesh (comprised largely of triangles), that can then be imported and understood by SketchUp.

There are some formats, and some software that do a better job when you’re needing to convert (i.e. transcode) from one format to another. For example, the Shapr3D article references STEP as a common exchange format that is used between MCAD applications.

While SketchUp does not yet offer native support for importing STEP – certain other software, MOI for example, does an amazing job of converting STEP files into SketchUp (SKP) files. Depending on how valuable it is for you to be able to work across both Shapr3D and SketchUp, the use of a third solution might be worthwhile.

I hope that helps.

5 Likes

Thank you that does help to explain the whole file situation. Thanks!

You’re out of line.

No. STL export is available in the Export File Type dropdown.

Importing .stl files is also available.

I apologize! It is there. However not terribly apparent as it’s not really a drop down box but scrolling. It doesn’t appear to have but 1 file type, as you can’t readily see any others when it is at the top.

This is a general Apple UI type, that iPhone and iPad software uses everywhere. In smaller screen real estate, it’s been deemed necessary by Apple; large drop down menus simply aren’t an option on small screens. Our non-Apple using customers struggle with this, but once you learn it you can’t unlearn it.

b

1 Like