Intersecting Holes

I read in a previous topic about using the “Dave Method” to intersect holes in an object. Can that also be done on SketchUp Go? It was just practice drawing the illustration that came with a Handscrew Kit I bought. Here’s a screen shot of where the holes are placed and the skp file.

10_ Handscrew.skp (69.9 KB)

The Dave Method does work in SketchUp Go and even SketchUp Free. It’s just a matter of making a copy of the component, scaling the copy up and then doing the intersection and erasure. When you’ve finished editing the large copy of the component, get out of Edit mode and delete the large one. The original one will have the same edits.

Note that this does require that you actually copy the component and not the geometry inside the component as you’ve done frequently in your other models.

One thing that would help is if you draw the clamp jaw on axis. As it is you have it very slightly off axis and the faces where the screws pass through are not parallel to each other.

Thank you. I’ll practice doing it. I have played a little with the scale tool and intersecting faces from right clicking after placing a cylinder shaped like the hole. I’m probably missing something along the way, but it’s just practice.

Yes, I know what you mean about being slightly off axis. That definitely happen to me already.

Save yourself a bunch of trouble. Throw these into the scrapbox for the wood stove and start over with it modeled correctly.

Wilco, like I said I was just practicing. It does help to use SketchUp to visualize where to drill all the holes before butchering wood with a drill and realizing that the holes were placed wrong. I won’t tell you why I know that :wink:.

Just because I was in the middle of it…

This was done in Pro but the exact same steps would apply in Go.

dm

2 Likes

That was great. I think I see how. I will try tomorrow. Believe it or not, there are different sized holes on the inside and outside faces that complicate the issue. I’m sure that is what you were referring to when you said model it right. Anyway, I appreciate the illustration and can now practice it.

I didn’t catch that detail in your model. I guess I’d give some thought to modeling it that way and maybe changing the design. Is there a benefit to making the oval holes different on one side than the other? Seems to me it would be more straightforward to make them straight through.

It would definitly be more straightforward with one size straight through and it still works. You know handscrew adjustment is like riding a bicycle for the first time, but once you learn how to adjust them they can clamp anything within the reach of the jaws. Thanks again.

Indeed. It’s just a matter of getting your hands going the right direction.