As shown in the images below:
- I created a cat’s head shape and used the push/pull tool
- I then positioned it on a tapered cylinder
- I then used “Intersect Faces”
- As you can see, there is an issue - some faces are missing
I know I can repair the cat’s head by drawing appropriate lines, but I was wondering what caused the problem in the first place.
Intersect Faces Issue.skp (298.5 KB)
It’s because of the small size of your model. SketchUp won’t create the required tiny faces. They can exist but you have to create them at a larger size.
That gap is about the width of a human hair. Other gaps are smaller. I think you’re cat head is excessively over modeled.
Try scaling it up by a factor of 100 or 1000. Or use The Dave Method.
I tried the Dave Method and it worked a treat.
When you say that the cat’s head is excessively over modeled, I presume you’re referring to the number of segments.
I created the head using the following steps:
- used Trace Bitmap in Inkscape trace a png image
- saved as a DXF
- imported DXF into Make
- saved, then inserted the SKP into a model in SketchUp Free
I’ll try reducing the number of segments.