Installing doors and windows for openings

eval2.skp (338.9 KB)

I think this file should open

Both this and your previous post have files that open.

In both cases, the ‘shell’ into which you are trying to insert ‘windows’ has only one face.

House walls, which are shown in most of the examples, have TWO faces - one inside, one outside - and are normally pushpulled up from parallel lines or rectangles on the ground plane (x-y, or red-green in SU).

THEN you pushpull a rectangle through the wall from outside to inside, or vice versa, and THEN the cutout is formed in both faces.

Hi.
I opened your file no problem (Pro v.2021.1).

I entered the Group you created (double clicking with Select tool).
Selected Push/Pull tool. Hovered over rectangle. Clicked and pushed to opposite side.
Opening created in opposite side.

Did the same thing for the Circle and partially pushed so you could see this behavior.

Moved your group to the origin (good practice).Eval - Push+Pull Successful.skp (341.0 KB)

1 Like

That’s good !! Thanks. And does make sense. I also realized that the box created had walls that were too thin (or just one face) which does seem to prevent the cut-out effect. Which would require two faces.

Jeff

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the help. I realized the problem I was having to create the opening in my models. I think the walls contained only one “face” and should contain two “faces” for each wall for Sketchup to work. When checking the walls in my model they were too thin to allow for the opening. However, its resolved for now.

Thanks

Jeff

If you want to cut a hole in a single face it’s even easier. Just draw the rectangle and delete the face filling it.

1 Like