Insertion points break after a move takes place

My team is experiencing issues with insertion points. This is certainly not a desirable “feature.” What is happening is we have thousands of models with specific insertion points, that must always insert at that location, thus the purpose of an insertion point. The problem is if you move any instance from any location other than the original insertion point. All other instance insertions now take place at the last known move point, not the insertion point. This bug/feature is incredibly disruptive to our work flow as a move operation is now interfering and effectively redefining our very specific insertion point. Sometimes so many insertion points have been ruined by moves that we have to save, close and reopen our file to restore the proper insertion points. Imagine having to save close and reopen every time you move a few model instances; this is not acceptable. The only other workaround is to move the instance again from the insertion point after every move operation. Please try to imagine that every move operation must be performed twice as well as maintaining a duplicate instance placed outside the working model for the purpose of redefining broken insertion points with a second move; not acceptable. Nobody needs this type of unnecessary repetitive insertion frustration.

Can we please fix Sketchup so that a component instance insertion always takes place at the components insertion point?

1 Like

I was about to post about this just some month ago! I’ve developed a plugin that in some sense replicates the Place tool SketchUp uses whenever a component is first placed from the component browser. I noticed there was an insertion_point property of the component definition but didn’t really know what it meant as I expected it to be identical to the local origin. I still ended up using it. Then my client reported an issue that we both struggled badly to reproduce. It turned out moving components with Move tool, sometimes, in some situations, change the insertion point away from the local origin. I have used SketchUp for 10+ years and never noticed this. I ended up changing the plugin to just use the local origin (the axes location) as it really is what you expect as a user.

I’m suspecting the custom insertion point is something that made sense before SketchUp used the local axes when a component was being edited, which I think was up to version 6. Today I have no idea what it is for. I wouldn’t mind if the insertion point property was just purged from the SketchUp DOM and we simply always used local origin as insertion point. The local axes are easy to find and really what you expect to define the insertion point.

2 Likes

I think many would disagree with you to get this fixed, It’s a useful feature when placing multiple instances of the same component selected from the component browser.

The local origin can be relocated to a useful logical location after creating the component, but will still limit future insertion to just one insertion point if your request is granted.

You don’t need to save and reload your file to reset the insertion point.
Double click a component instance and then outside the component again (open > close the component).

Also see this thread: Components with multiple insertion and receiving points

Inserting a component instance from the user interface (user perception) is not a move, and it is not a copy. So while having a copy or a move remember the last relevant location is useful, inserting a new instance at a location other than the predefined insertion point will always be undesirable behavior. I have a team of 11 people using Sketchup 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and we all agree that when a new instance is inserted into our model the location we want is the insertion point, never the last used move point.

Thanks g.h.hubers for showing me that clicking in to edit the component resets the insertion point. This is useful, and a better work around. I still think it is a just work around, as now we have to double click every component we move and then click out, or the next insert is in the wrong place (feels broken). When you are inserting a few thousand components a day, the extra work is not welcome. Correct me if I am wrong, but the people that would disagree would be people that do not understand how to set up and use an insertion point in the first place? Because if you wanted to insert a bunch of components in the same place every time for efficiency, wouldn’t you just define the correct insertion point?

1 Like

I do really like that copying uses the last relevant move point, if I need this behavior for replicating components I want to just use copy. I would not want to lose this function.

I think it may be important to add that when we (my team and I) want multiple insertion points on a component, we usually get them by simply saving out our component with a different insertion point. So given the example of a shelf, we would have shelf_left (inserts on the left), shelf_right (inserts on the right), etc. I know this may add some redundant geometry to the model, but it makes dropping components in models really quick and efficient. When you are dropping components in your model all day long, having them insert correctly with one click is absolutely priceless.