Imprinting Images on Model?

Hi everyone. If this is posted in the wrong place, I apologize.

I am busy creating a set of headstones for a cemetery, and I have found some images that has been carved into the stone of old headstones that will suit my project perfectly. I would like to find out if it is possible at all to “imprint” these images on my models, to make it look as if it was carved into it? The images in question is in black and white…essentially line drawings.

Thanks in advance!

Answer is “probably”. But without seeing more precisely what the “image” is, it’s hard to say.

Thanks for the response. Here’s one of the images…I know I would likely have to clean it up…removing the shadowing etc until only the basic image remains.fig26

If you are after a kind of bas relief, it could be done but it would take a lot of work.

I understand…so, doing a bas relief - sorry if this is a bit of a newbie question, but how would I go about that?

Try looking for ‘bitmap to hash’

I am not sure. It is not clear to me how accurate the model should be and for what purpose it is intended. If the carving is only needed for the visual effect, then the solutions can be one (see the attached example below), if it is a template for making a real copy of the stone - quite another.

In the first case, it is not necessary to fully develop the whole form. It is possible that the general outlines of the stone and the drawing on the facade are quite enough. You have to specify your needs.

Tombstone.skp (4.6 MB)

Thank you both for your answers. I looked into bitmap to mesh, and it is helpful. And, regarding kamambers’ answer - I will be using these tombstone models in a game. Thanks for the example, I am also perusing another idea that I have thought about yesterday, so I will likely post on the outcome.