Import issues

Hey!
So I’ve imported some CAD lines and it’s imported it 80000 feet away. I can’t find it :grimacing: is there a way to teleport (sorry, lack of a better term) it to the origin?
I’m doing the landscape design course off the SketchUp campus
Kaiden

Select the object, use outliner if needed and zoom to selection to center it. With move tool click on a place in the object to move to origin. The type [0,0,0] With brackets, press return.

1 Like

Thanks @endlessfix I’ll try that now.
Kaiden

I’m not sure if I did that wrong :frowning: but it didn’t work

Is it a component? You could bring in a new instance of it from the component browser or just find it cut it to the clipboard and paste it which will attach it to your browser.

CAD imports can be difficult.

Can you post your file so we can see what’s going on?

1 Like

SU campus.skp (3.8 MB)

Yes it is

I did do that. I imported it into a blank drawing, exported the component to my PC then imported it into my current model.
Thanks

When you import the DWG, open the configure window next to the format at the bottom and uncheck Preserve Drawing Origin. This will tell SketchUp to ignore the Acad origin.

2 Likes

I’m using SketchUp Make. So I’m using an extension to import the .dwg file. so not sure if that’ll work. will try it

Nope

My first suggestion works fine. I’ll post a video.

3 Likes

Thanks

Try to select (Lines only) in your CAD program > Open up a new Window > and then past these lines into a new file close to the origin then import it in Sketchup. It should solve your issue.

1 Like

Don’t have CAD :confused: just downloaded it off the SU campus

I am assuming the OP does not have access to CAD.

2 Likes

Correct :+1:

Aha @endlessfix I didn’t see that video above :'D

Ok, got it. the trick of endlessfix is good. I like it!

2 Likes

YES thanks! It worked :heart:

1 Like

use outliner to find and zoom to object. use move tool to grab the object somewhere. start move then let go of the mouse and type in [0,0,0] include the brackets. this tells Sketchup to move the grabbed point to the absolute location of 0x,0y,0z in the model, or the origin. Zoom extents to get back to the model after.

1 Like

Thanks @endlessfix

:+1: :white_check_mark:

1 Like