Image as decal on Sketchup to avoid Z-fighting ? / How to flatly stick image on surface?

Ok, thank you. I got your idea now. Yes just a simple way to avoid unwanted shadow inside SKP.
:slight_smile:

Before I started using Vray to apply decals, I would place an image on a face and then move it about .01" off the face (or some very small measurement), just enough that there wasn’t a shadow and the z-fighting issue wouldn’t occur.

1 Like

Hi, Thank for your sharing. 0.01" = 0.25 mm (I use millimeter)
I never move anything less than 1 mm, maybe it is work. will try :wink:

My thought process was simply that you want to get one surface just far enough away from the other to avoid the clash. I chose .01" because of my unit of measure and of course, it was close enough to the opposing surface that didn’t reveal any shadow, no matter how close, strong or angled the light source was.

Shadow casting can also be turned off for single objects

I can’t disagree with that, but with Vray, that can be a bit tricky. I don’t believe the original author uses that, but for my specific workflow and software usage, I opt for the minuscule positioning and that does the trick.

1 Like

@Anssi . Turn off shadow casting is helpful if we only work in SketchUp.

but if we render

1. the big gap can create unwanted shadow like this.

1. I test @jjmorvay technique, having very very small gap 0.5 mm. Result is quite good for quickly work. No more object shadow like on left model, however I still need to fix border shadow in Photoshop.

1. but this best way if I have time is to use real decal in other softwares.

For this topic, I am try to learn how other people do and it good that I can see different process from this discussion, so I have more workflow to choose depending on how much time I have for each job.

If I needed to do this sort of thing I wouldn’t be screwing around with these little images like you’ve been doing. It’s simple enough to make a single texture image for the entire face using an image editor. I’d just apply it to the face as a texture and go on with my day.

1 Like

Agree Dave, you mean using this image editor, Right ?
Yes this should be the best practice. Once logo become texture then all problem will be solved.

I mostly do this process in final design but some time during design developing. I am not sure which graphic size and location will be good in final scene, so I have to use graphic element as picture to let it easy to reposition and scale.

Thanks for sharing your work flow :slight_smile:

What’s the problem of using smaller values than 0,5 mm? I normally use something like 0,1 mm or 0,01 mm. I don’t think there is any problem with shadows.
Even Paint has some thickness in real life…

@numerobis It should be no problem. I just never use this value like 0.1 or 0.01 mm.
In real world it is very very small so I never try. I just leant from this forum we actually can apply this value.

I think that’s technically what happens with a decal in rendering or even a decal in real life , it is sitting on top of the object - not occupying the same space.
I think the smallest value you can use in SketchUp is 0.001”

But what you may find is that the zfighting will change based upon other precision related things such as the model’s distance from the world origin and the camera’s distance from it

1 Like

The size of the faces also makes a difference.

z fighting

1 Like

Interesting!