I'm trying to build a lightsaber handle

I’m trying to build a lightsaber handle for my first project. I’m brand new to this and I’m having problems quickly selecting, aligning different parts, and quickly making different sized things that are aligned in the middle.

Have you followed the basic tutorials, for example at the SketchUp campus? Share an example model and I’m certain we can steer you in the right direction.

Lightsaber.skp (195.3 KB)
I’m trying to align these disks, the smaller one on top of the larger one. But I’m having trouble using the move tool and when I finally did figure it out, it isn’t aligning properly. I have read a few of the articles in the sketchup help.

You’ve got your geometry welded together which will make moving the one to align with the other impossible.
Screenshot - 1_14_2022 , 9_24_23 AM

First thing you need to do is learn about components and groups. You should go through the educational materials at learn.sketchup.com and the Square One videos on the SketchUp You Tube channel. Do that before you try to model the light saber handle and save yourself a lot of frustration.

Next, instead of modeling the parts away from each other and assembling them, model them in place so you can use the first part as a reference for modeling the next part.

1 Like

Ok, I will make sure to go through those videos. Thank you!

If you don’t mind me asking, what method would you use to do what I’m trying to do? Is there a specific technique or tool you would use?

I would likely draw a cross section profile of the handle and then use a circle as a path for Follow Me. Use components for keeping parts separate so they don’t weld together. But also model as much as you can in place. Make your life easier by using what you’ve already modeled as a reference for the next components you’ll create.

Take a look at this video I did a while back. Although it was done in the desktop version and it’s not a light saber, it shows the general idea of modeling in place and using what you’ve got as a reference for more parts.

2 Likes

I clearly have much to learn, lol. Thank you so much for your time and I will make sure to go through the starter packs and tutorials.

You could also watch this to give you some ideas.

2 Likes