Illegal line tag line style

After 11 years, I’ve just started getting the ‘unrecognized file format’ message and inability to reopen model. I’m also getting a lot of ‘illegal line style’ messages when engaging the ‘Fix Problems’ button. I know there’s no real solution to the first issue based on what I’ve read online, but wondering if anyone knows what might be causing the second issue and if they may be linked.

It might be that @colin can at the very least retrieve the components in your model. If you share it, he would probably take a look.

I’ve never seen an “illegal line style” message before. Are you using some sort of sketchy line style? Are you still using SketchUp 2020 as indicated by your profile?

Actually, I’ve learned over the years to constantly save and intermittently save copies of the models I’m working on, so I usually don’t lose more that 15 minutes of work from the corruption issue, but I am curious why it just started. I have about 40k hours in at this point and it’s the very first time its happened to me. I use other software that literally cost 100x more that Sketchup and they’re not near as stable, so I’ve come to appreciate Sketchup in that respect, in spite of minor issues.

1 Like

The most common reason that Sketchup files become corrupted and can’t be opened is when the user is working on a cloud-saved file. An interruption in the connection of even a microsecond or two during a save/autosave can be enough to corrupt the file. It’s good that you save frequently so you have incremental versions.

I have two ssd’s on my system, the c: drive is where I do my work and the d: drive is where I save it. Do you think there could be some glitching going on between the drives that might be causing it? I’m not a hardware geek, so if you do have an explanation, try to keep it as ‘stupid proof’ as possible. LOL

I wouldn’t expect a problem internally however I suppose it is possible. I have a second drive mapped for saving SketchUp model files along with other files to so I don’t load of the C://. Never had a problem with that arrangement and this is the 4th computer I’ve done that on.

I guess I’d watch things for awhile and see what happens. If you have some reason to get inside your computer you could checked to see that the connectors for the drives are properly seated.

Thanks for your input and time Dave. I’ll do that while trying not to go down a rabbit hole looking for the culprit.

Good luck.

The illegal line style message still puzzles me.

I’ll copy you on it if it happens again.

1 Like

Check your drives if you can. At least when SSD disks became common they said that they are not as durable as traditional hard drives. My first ultrabook was from that period, with a small SSD to speed startup and a larger traditional drive for storage, and the SSD eventually failed. I don’t know if the MTBF ratings have improved since, and my current SSD computers are not yet very old.

Thanks for that. I got a new system less than a year ago, so hopefully not wearing out yet…but you never know with electronics.

You are not saving to the cloud, but is your storage folder syncing automatically to the cloud? These problems have also been seen to happen with local autosyncing Google Drive and Dropbox folders.

1 Like

It’s not a secret but also not widely announced: SSDs wear out! The damage is done during writes or deletes, but not during reads. So the actual life you get will depend on the relative patterns of usage. Life also depends on the specific variant of technology and storage management strategy. But by all reports, a modern SSD ought to last many decades.

It is syncing to Carbonite. Been using it for 20 years with no problems yet. :crossed_fingers:

I’m running a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb and a Samsung 970 EVO 1tb. Have you heard anything regarding these?

The glitches seem to depend on very close timing of events as SketchUp and the network or cloud sync both access the file. So close that most people can, as you have, go a long time without ever losing a file, especially if you network connection is fast and reliable. The usual advice is to save on a local, non-synced folder and later copy to the synced one. But, of course, that is a more burdensome workflow and subject to forgetfulness.

Not specifically, though Samsung are usually pretty good. How old?

Less than a year. Regarding sync, maybe I just need to have it sync after work hours or when I take a break.

1 Like

Here’s a link to an article that discusses the lifespan of SSD’s and specifically uses a Samsung 850 as an example.