I would like to "solo" view a single layer rather than turn off all other layers

When building up a drawing of a timber frame, each class of timber - common rafter - principal rafter - ridge- is assigned a separate layer. Further, when developing envelope or internal elements, these also receive separate layers. This provides great flexibility in being able to address individual elements or objects, but it is slow and profoundly annoying to have to turn off multiple layers to leave just one active and available for work. In audio engineering (previous life) we had access to a “solo in place” button that allowed for turning off all channels of audio but the one selected, accessed via a single switch. Is something like that available? It would speed up the process enormously - the bigger and more complex the frame - the more layers there are. I have tried nesting multiple layers under “master” layers, and while that helps, it can get out of hand quite quickly. Especially for an old and stodgy brain like mine. Typical frame pix attached. Thanks in advance.

I agree. In AutoCAD world, this would be called “layer isolate” and theres a button for it. Something I use often in CAD

Get Layer Manager.

Also you can save Scenes with just the layers you want visible.

[quote=“TimberBoy, post:1, topic:20399”]
This provides great flexibility in being able to address individual elements or objects, but it is slow and profoundly annoying to have to turn off multiple layers to leave just one active and available for work. [/quote]
In ‘Layers’ window > Details > Select All and uncheck one that is currently checked.
All will become unvisible. Ignore “you can not hide the current layer” since that should be active Layer0 anyway. Then check the desired layer again. Not slow at all.
And as @catamountain sugguests, also apply scenes with layer sets saved per scene.

I have two layer state scenes in every SU file: one that is “All On” and one that is “ALL Off”. If I want to see just one layer, I hit the scene “All Off” and then check the layer I want to see. Simple - two clicks. Also, you may not have a full understanding on how layers work in SU - the only layer you should have available “for work” is Layer 0. You should not be doing any modeling on any other layer. Hope this helps.

Thanks Ward. I gave up on CAD and moved to SU as it mostly serves my needs better, but there are a few things I miss.

I will absolutely try out layer manager. Thanks

You’re right, that works as a good quick fix. Thanks

Thanks Paul, That also seems to be a reasonable workaround to my problem.
I must admit however I am still trying to wrap my head around using only Layer 0 to work in. Seriously ? Every time I have to work or re work a connection I have to move the element back to layer one? I have trouble imagining how that would work efficiently into my workflow. I have no doubt that you are right in your assessment of my level of understanding of layers in SU.

Think of “Layer0” as having the alias “Primitives”. (All edges, faces, curves and arccurves need to be assigned to use “Layer0” properties.)

Layers in SketchUp do not have entity collections, so you do not actually “work on a layer”, nor place objects “on layers”, nor “move objects to layers”. Instead, you assign an object’s layer property to point at a layer object, which in SketchUp is a set of visibility and behavior properties, that are meant to be shared with many objects. (Ie, they are not geometric layers, they are masking layers, … and using the word “layers” has been causing confusion for a great many people who have used other software.)

Special objects like ConstructionPoints (Guide Points) and ConstructionLines (Guides) can be assigned to layers other than “Layer0”. (Makes it easy to switch groups of them on and off as needed.)

Collection objects like Group and ComponentInstances are designed to be assigned to custom organizational layers. When this is done, their “wrapper” (or “container” might be a better word,) is assigned to point at the desired layer, and applies that layer’s visibility and behavior properties to override the whole collection “container context”. BUT,… the individual properties inside the context’s collection still have their properties, such as layer assignment. So, the primitives within the collection will still be assigned to “Layer0” but the whole collection context will act as though it were all assigned to the container’s layer. (Ie, color by layer, visibility in general, visibility per scene page, etc.)

Material assignments are a bit different. Collection container material assignments do not override a specific primitive’s material assignment.

Anyway, when you do not have primitives assigned to use “Layer0” strange behavior happens with visibility and scenes.

Your models should be separated into collections (group or component instances) of primitives. Collections will not interfere with one another (unless you choose to explode them or use the intersect command.)
Each timber after drawing would be selected and either grouped or made a component. It can then be moved into place, copied, mirrored, scaled, stretched, etc. any number of times. To edit it, you double-click it and enter it’s editing context.