I just switched from a PC to a Mac....The Paint bucket is different

I just switched from a PC to a Mac…I used to be able to point at a material with the eye dropper from the Paint bucket & copy it on to another surface. I cannot do it on the Mac any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the latest version of sketchup pro

Actually you can. If you are sampling a material from another face in the model, get the Paint Bucket tool and hold the Command key to get the eye dropper. On the Mac Command is used as the modifier key where Alt would be used on the PC. In the same way, it’s Option instead of Ctrl.

1 Like

A further note: the little eye dropper icon near the bottom of the materials (aka “colors”) window on the Mac activates the macOS pixel color sampler, not the SketchUp material sampler. To get the material sampler, do as @DaveR wrote. Activate the paint bucket tool and hold down the command key.

1 Like

Thank You…So simple!!!

I’m still getting used to the Mac.

One more minor problem…My Icons In my tool bar are tiny. How can I enlarge them? Even with glasses on I’m having trouble seeing them easily.

Check if Small Size is ticked. If so, untick it.

Kerry I was wondering why Mac? If you had the choice again would you choose PC or Mac? I’ve been doing some PlusSpec training with Mac users and the paint bucket features don’t seem to be nearly as good. Maybe that’s because I’ve always been a PC user…

The paint bucket has the same features and abilities in both platforms, it is just accessed differently in the two interfaces. Honestly I think there are very slight advantages and disadvantages to each in in the end for the material picker it’s probably a wash between the two, there are other bigger differences in the the program on the two systems. I am a Mac user, and I’m the first to admit that the color/material picker has some issues but I’m used to it.

I use both OS and personally I like the Mac UI better, the materials tray is similar but I find it on Mac it’s easier to use.

it’s great to pick colours. and that’s pretty much it. the rest of the interface is not sketchup-y, materials not in alphabetical order, and editing an existing colour can be a bit of a mess.

given the choice, I would rather have the standard SU pc version material panel. basically at this point I wouldn’t mind having (finally) an unified interface.

2 Likes