How to "save" the component attributes to use again

I realize the title is confusing… I am super confused about dynamic components. So I have a library of components I bring into a new file to use for my job. I’m trying to add an attribute to be able to change the color (material) of the component when it get brought into a new design. With the help of the tutorials, I have been able to accomplish these steps…

1. bring existing component into a new design
  2. apply a material attribute
  3. change the color of the component in the new design file
    …BUT, I would like to know how to be able to create that material attribute via the dynamic components menu that is already attached to the component. Currently, I need to recreate the material attribute every time the component is brought into a new design. I need to be able to have a drop down menu of colors this specific component can be, so when the user brings the component in from the library of components I have created, they can just choose the color and keep designing. Instead of setting up the material attribute every time it is brought into a new design.
    Thanks.

if it is a color then use named as per

if it is a material or texture then include a swatch in the DC

It is a material.
Can you only make a component a dynamic component AFTER you add the component into a new design?
I was able to create a dynamic component inside my component file. But then when I add that component into a new design, it groups it again. (I do know that every time you insert a component into a new design it groups it. So all of our components are not grouped in their separate files to avoid a “double grouping.” So my question is… can you make the component immediately dynamic to avoid double grouping when you insert a component into a new file?

Use the context sensitive, right click menu on the component and choose “Save As…” All component files need to saved this way to avoid the “wrap”

“if in doubt right click” is a good motto

1 Like