How to remember scale (position) when switching between previously used wallpapers (textures)?

I’m trying to decide which wallpaper I like best. I position a wallpaper then I position another one, and another, and another. When I go back to look at a previous one the pattern is much larger and the positioning pins don’t correspond with the original tile. My only choice is to import the tile again. What is a better solution? Thank you.

How are you importing the textures? How are you setting their sizes in the beginning? If you change the size later, update the texture or save it as a new one at the new size.

To control where the corner of the tile falls, make the wall and component and set the component’s origin at the location of the tile corner.

I select import from the file menu, select the .png I made in another program (I didn’t try control it’s size there, just the pattern), then double click the face and position with the yellow pins to edges and guides. That’s all I know about importing and setting sizes.

Thanks for giving me a clue, I’m finding my own answer > materials > edit.

Try this slight change.

Draw a rectangle sized to match one tile of your wallpaper texture. Import the image as a texture and apply it to that rectangle starting at its lower left corner and dragging to an edge on the opposite side. Click to set the texture and its size will be automatically established.

I do this for the wood grain materials I create. I always know the lengths of the boards so if I have 12 foot long images, I draw 12 foot long rectangles (width isn’t terribly important because it takes care of itself.) Then I import the image as above and presto! 12’ long textures.

Instead of repainting, you can create different textured faces (inside groups/components) and control their visibility with layers. Much faster switching this way…

1 Like

Thanks for both of your suggestions, I’ll definitely be exploring them both soon as I get the time.

Cotty, can you elaborate or send me a link on how to make multiple copies of the same component in the same place? I seem to be looking for a needle in a haystack. Thank you

I’m not Cotty but maybe I can help.

The way I would do this is the following:

Make the component.
Create the requisite layers. Remember to leave Layer 0 as the active layer.
Select the component.
Use Edit>Copy to cut the component to the clipboard.
Put it on the first of the layers to get a copy of the component.
Use Edit>Paste in place to paste a copy of the component.
While the copy is selected, change its layer to the next layer in Entity Info.
Repeat the Paste in place and layer assignment steps until you have enough copies.

I have a keyboard shortcut for Paste in place because I use it so frequently. For things like this, it sure speeds up the process.

1 Like

Here’s the model I’ve created for the animation, maybe it helps if you look at it too.

texturescene.skp (136.7 KB)

Thanks Dave, I wouldn’t have made it that far without your clear instructions.
I ran into a problem with scenes but finally found a way to make it work by doing the following 2 things:
Use groups, not components (maybe that was a clue I could have picked up on in your sample Cotty)
Delete the group on layer 0 so that it won’t override the other layers and you can see the other elements.
I’m sure there is a way to do it with components, I just haven’t found how to isolate it’s color to a single layer. Funny thing is, when I first tried it the layers did have isolated colors but only the color of the last layer I looked at though layer visibility would come up with the different scenes. Now, everytime I color a layer the other layers change. Groups doesn’t have that problem.

This seems like it would be useful so I wouldn’t have to make guides but just about everytime I check the dimensions they are an 1/8th or 1/16 off from the original rectangle.

If you’re only applying colors, you can apply them to the component without opening the component for editing. If you open the component for editing and apply the color to the faces, that will indeed change all other instances. With groups, the faces can be painted in one without affecting the copies.

There’s an additional benefit to using components for this over groups. If you find you need to alter the shape or size of the object, with groups, you’ll have to either edit each copy or edit one and replace the others one at a time and repaint them.

As for deleting the copy of the component/group that is on Layer 0, if you followed my instructions, there wouldn’t have been a copy on Layer 0 to delete.

Not sure what you are referring to here.

This was posted as a reply under your second post about drawing a rectangle sized to match 1 tile. It’s no big deal to just edit the material and correct the size.

I see. You must be missing something when importing the materials if the dimensions are off when you’ve gotten them applied to the rectangles.

You’re right that it’s no a problem to edit the material dimensions after you’ve imported them. When I am importing new textures it is generally a bunch of them at the same time and for me it’s faster to import them at the correct size than it is to edit them afterward. But, like many things in SketchUp, there are multiple ways to get to the same point.

Thanks for taking the time with me Dave, it sure has helped. I finally grok what’s going on. You edit>cut and then paste it right back on the same layer then push it onto the next layer. Paste another copy to layer 0 and push it (visibility only) onto the layer after that, etc. I had tried using cut much eailier but must have been doing something else wrong and it didn’t work, but copy did. I get it now, thanks.

The rectangle thing is still puzzling, if I drag from lower left corner to the top edge the width is slightly off. If I drag to the right edge or right top corner the height is slightly off.

Steve

Yes. An important thing about working with layers in SketchUp is to keep Layer 0 active at all times. To prevent potential issues down the road, I gave the instruction to leave Layer 0 active. This means each time you paste a copy of the component, it will be on Layer 0. Move it to the next layer in the list and repeat.

re: Textures. If you are finding the dimensions are “off” like you describe, it would indicate you aren’t making the rectangle’s ratio match that of the image. Are you having to disconnect the two dimensions when you edit them to get both dimensions to fit as you think they should? If so, that would mean you’re stretching or compressing the texture in one direction or the other. You can check that by looking at the pixel dimensions of the image and comparing their ratio to the ratio of the rectangle you’re drawing.

With textures, I didn’t realize my source had to be exactly right to use this technique but I tried it going up to 4 decimal places out on the ratio and they are still coming in at an 1/8 to 1/16th out. For my purposes I really don’t need perfection and it’s still better than placing guides and stretching tiles to the 4 corners.

Maybe the dimensions I’m using are just to tricky, 54 * 25.25.