How to locate where errors are detected by Slic3r in the model?

Beautiful design! Where are you selling them? What do you use for a slicer? I think I end up with a similar thing by using mm but at 100x the size and scaling down - just with more effort… Your workflow was much better! Very little erasing and only some push pull. I had to erase the rails that crossed the copper gaps only. No errors and now I can make the #6 turnout diverging rail back to parallel! Thanks so very much for the help!!

1 Like

Bool tools2 seems very useful! Will try it for sure!

1 Like

Thanks. I’m not selling them. It was mostly just an exercise in SketchUp and then in the rendering application I use.

I always shoot for making components solids in SketchUp even though they aren’t going to be 3D printed because they are the cleanest and most efficient.

As to the slicer, for the examples I show I use the i.materialise website because it’s quick and easy.

Working at 100X is generally OK. I just like using meters and not having to do the math or remember to move the decimal.

I’m glad you found the workflow suggestions helpful. As you get more proficient with your modeling you’ll find ways to think about how you are modeling that are more efficient.

I think you’ll find the Bool Tools 2 extension a valuable addition. It comes in very handy for lots of things. I used it to “cut” the grooves in the headstock, tail stock, and banjo to match the ways on the bed of this lathe.

The openings between the spokes and the spiral rope groove in this hoisting drum were created with the Trim tool in Bool Tools 2.

Very cool! You have serious skills! I’m generally making a path for the model. A simple 10" arc for the curves etc. But I really want to make easements for the curves. To do so I need that spiral path. So each face has less and less of an angle than the last until it is parallel with the straight track. It seems the idea is to double the length - so about 3 inches of track curve stretched to 6 inches. It is effectively a spiral and I do not know how to make it other than manually moving each face less than the previous… It seems that are about 0.2 degrees per face on my 10 inch arc (I used 500 faces on a 1/2 circle) So I can make them 0.19, 0.18 etc to 0.01 and they all still average 0.2 pre pair. Any ideas? Thanks again you really made this easier for me

You might look at the Curve Maker extension from the Extension Warehouse. That could be useful. Also Fredo Spline from Sketchucation which has a number of different curve types available.