How to draw on the other side of an overlay

I frequently bring in cuts from plan sheets and draw on top of them to make models. I watched Aarons video and there were some helpful tricks included. When I draw on an overlay, it appears only on once side of the page, forcing me to draw only on the side it selects. Is there a way to have the lines appear on the other side? Autocad has draw order and send to back and it works. I can’t find something similar on Sketchup. I can turn on xray and that sort of helps, but not completely. Any suggestions tips and tricks?

Pat

Share one of your .skp files that exhibits this so we can see what you’ve set up and tell you how to fix it.

It was kind of you to respond DaveR. Attached is a drawing with 2 underlays. I flipped one of them over. Draw a line from the same side on both overlays. On one it appears on the top, On the other on the bottom. You can turn on X ray and see the line on either image from both sides. My experience has been when you draw a plane in xray with some lines on one side and some lines on the other, most of time it will close and make a face, but not always. Attached is file

drawing on overlays.skp (227.7 KB)

Maybe I’m not getting something. I’m not having any problem getting the face to close as long at the edges are on axis. I can’t say that I’ve ever had any reason to want to draw on the back of an image. Is there a benefit to do that?

underlay

Interesting. When I do the same it comes out different. I’m using windows and pro 2020. With the overlay it just depends on what I’m doing on which side I am tracing. If there is an edge you can’t see the underlay any longer and may need to draw on the other side to see the underlay lines.

So you’re getting a face in both cases. I’m still not really seeing what the problem is. It’s intended that you would be drawing on the front of the image. If you turn the image over, you’d have to look up from below to be able to see it unless you are using the X-ray face style.

When you import an image, it always ‘floats’ above the face where you place it to prevent ‘z’-fighting. When you insert an image on a plane (eg. not on a face), it takes in account the camera position for you to draw on it from that camera point. (in such cases, the image is actually a little bit beyond the insertion point, also to prevent ‘z’-fighting.
If you don’t like that, you can explode the image or import it by dragging in a negative direction.

great discussion, thanks. In the simple example it did create a face and worked ok. It doesn’t always. I’ll get a note that the points are not coplaner. It appears to be flat, but it’s almost like it’s off by the thickness of the paper, if there was such a thing. What MikeWayzovski suggests makes sense. I tried it and if I explode the image I can draw on either side and it appears on either side. The lines don’t seem to stick to the image either. I can then group it back and I can draw on either side. Thanks!

another helpful trick is to toggle off the axis inferencing when tracing if you want to follow the lines on the underlay. “ALT” toggles inferencing on and off.