How to draw a 5-degree angle?

I seem to be unable to draw a simple 5-degree angle with the arc tool, because Sketchup always says, “The number of segments is too large”. The smallest angle I can make is 8 degrees.

You either need to make the radius larger or you need to reduce the number of segments used to make the arc.

That’s what I tried earlier, but apparently I wasn’t aggressive enough. I had to make it huge and reduce the number of segments to 5.

How huge is huge?

A 5° arc is pretty short so there’s no real need for a lot of segments unless the radius is quite large.

Like 200mm, when the rest of my model is 10mm. I suppose it didn’t technically have to be that large, but I’m surprised Sketchup doesn’t have some king of “automatic” segment count.

Anyway, thanks.

It’s set up so that you get to choose the number of sides in an arc but it’s designed to prevent you from making such short segments that they’d cause problems. It’s the way it works.

Just a note on this, even at a radius of 250mm the bulge in the arc at the widest point on a 5° curve would be around 0.2 mm. That’s with just 3 segments.

1 Like