How to cover frame

I want to cover this frame, seen here in the center of this image, with a plain, uniform wall, ie a surface. But somehow that proves impossible. I’ve tried glueing together a new wall by pulling lines across the frame, but it keeps only allowing me to cover parts, and what parts are covered and what parts aren’t seems completely arbitrary. How can I fix this issue?

As you can see the lines are primarily diagonal. That’s simply because that was the most effective way to increase the cover surface. Usually, with straight lines, no surface would appear at all.

It appears the opening isn’t planar.

Drawing diagonals only makes a mess but you can move the vertices on the right side of the hole onto the plane of the face on the left side. To do this, activate the move tool with nothing selected. Hold the mouse over one of the edges in the right side of the image, that appears to be perpendicular to the face to the left. Once you have a On Line inference (red square) you hold down shift; you have now locked the move tool in the direction of this edge. Click the vertex (endpoint), while still holding shift, and click the face to the left. The vertex should now have been moved to where the line of the edge intersect the plane of the face. Repeat for all the vertices around the hole (except those of the left face itself because they are already on the plane). Now you should be able to just draw one single edge and have the faces created.

I’m pretty sure the frame is planar, or at least was planar for a long time while I’ve been struggling with this problem. Often something could be wrong without you noticing, so I mean it’s fully possible that it’s become unplanar, but I’m very certain it’s been planar while I’ve been having this problem.

When you say vertices/edge, do you mean the corners? Or the general outer lines of the frame? The move tool will not give me a red square on the corners, but it will give me a read square on some other places. When I hold down shift and then move these points, they move backwards and forwards. See image.

You’re right. It wasn’t planar. I decided the best solution was to delete the shape and redo it. I couldn’t figure out the move tool solution.

There is something really strange going on here. When I create new lines, instead of going straight, they bend upwards for some reason. See image.

Sharing the .SKP model file (or a stripped-down version of it to shrink its size and remove confidential bits) may help others to understand what is happening. You can upload a file using the seventh icon from the right (an up-pointing arrow) when creating a post or reply.

Hello @retroryder,

An easy way to ensure that your initial face is always planar is by:

1. selecting the rectangle tool
  2. place a rectangle of a size larger than needed in the field
    (this will serve as the background or base of the initial face of the model.)
  3. place another rectangle inside the first.
  4. DO NOT DESELECT THE RECENT SHAPE
  5. type the desired dimensions (length x width)
    (this last rectangle will be planar)
  6. push/pull the rectangle to the desired height.
  7. delete the original background rectangle.

All faces of the newly formed rectangular solid will be coplanar and your modeling from that point forward should remain coplanar as long as you refer to the various inference tool tips that appear as you move through your work. Creating all of the diagonals only makes it more difficult to complete your tasks successfully.

1 Like

How large is the item you are modeling? There are some capture effects that can occur at very small sizes and some granularity effects that can happen at very large sizes or very far from the model origin.

As mentioned, if you can share the file or a sample where the issue occurs, the experts will be able to give you an exact answer.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.