How rectangles behave on top of walls

Newbie bashing head against wall. When I a draw a rectangle on top of a few walls inside my model, the rectangle breaks into several smaller rectangles and rectangular areas. How do I select the entire rectangle I just drew in order to push/pull upward?

I expect you need to learn about using groups and components. Sounds like you haven’t grouped the wall geometry before drawing the rectangle across the top of them so the new rectangle merges with the wall geometry.

Don’t bash your head. Go through the instructional materials at learn.sketchup.com

1 Like

It’s best to upload the .skp model you’re working on so we can see what you’re talking about. It sounds like your walls are raw geometry so the fresh raw geometry (not grouped or component) is immediately merging with the walls. This is what all geometry in SketchUp does. Look into groups and components to isolate geometry.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes that’s right. It’s about grouping at the appropriate time. More videos to watch! Again, thanks for the wall padding!

1 Like