How many of you come here to look for Sketchup MAKE 2020?

now yes this is really helpful solution of my concerns. and i am really considering them. however, i have use sketchup from its google origin until now. it is like in the process of breaking up with a good friend.

thank you. there are many of us sketchup users here have the same concern as i do. and to be poping up their concern in this forum are very seldom cos of language bariers.

This is a popular misconception, Google Did Not create Sketchup, they bought a fully functioning professional product that had been around for about 5 years. The played with it a bit and gave away a ‘Free’ version. The ‘Free’ part of it was not done by them out of the goodness of their corporate heart, it was a way of getting everyone to populate Google Earth for them without having to pay people to model everything.
Once they decided it wasn’t working as they wanted their interests moved elsewhere.
Fortunately Trimble bought it from them otherwise it would have been shoved to the back of a cupboard somewhere and be forgotten.

3 Likes

Essentially I had the same problem as you did but from a different angle. Don’t think that I helped but the point was
made. If sketchup wants to be used by the Maker community, they need to change their policies.

OK thats good to now ,I had understood google earth and the future architecture
intergration were an overview plan with SU , some plan, wow ,alternativly, lets go down the town hall and find some wireing drawings for that 1898 terrace house , takes a morning if they exist , with such things and more in mind ,these BIG programms have a responsability to the BUILT ENVIROMENT a recent growl to myself suggested to England to nationalise much of the big software and service providers ,they did the railway a century ago ,probarbly in breech of my new trust BAG Jon

Human nature being what it is you can expect a certain percentage of users who would use Make for commercial purposes. Trimble’s answer to that was to discontinue Make entirely and offer the web based version which further limits SketchUp’s capabilities by not allowing the implementation of extensions. I’m not sure that I totally agree with this plan of attack but I can fully understand Trimble’s reasoning behind it.

I am faced with a slightly different but similar sort of problem. I give my extensions away free to any student or teacher and it is solely on their word of honor that they will not use them for commercial purposes. I am sure some of those “educational” licenses are probably being used for real/commercial work out there but rather than try to limit my product or use some other heavy handed tactic, my plan is simply to keep improving my product so that the end user will WANT TO upgrade, and hence eventually renew their license(s).

When it comes time to renew the regular and educational licenses have the same pricing, so ultimately the educational users will have to renew at the regular price if they want to continue using the latest and greatest version of my product(s).

My philosophy is that if you build it they will come. A good product will naturally attract customers, you don’t need to compel people to purchase it.

SketchUp is a great product, that is why we are all here and having this discussion. Unfortunately, SketchUp’s decision to discontinue Make is a heavy blow for many users probably because it created a gap in the product availability that was previously satisfied. Let me explain…

In my mind there are generally three types of users:

1.) The pro user who uses SketchUp regularly as part of the work flow and whose corporate pockets are deep enough such that licensing SketchUp is really a non-factor. SketchUp could probably sell their licenses to this type of user at triple the current price and it wouldn’t even give them a second thought. This type of user not only creates 3D models with SketchUp but also uses extensions to augment their toolset and creates renderings and constructions documents from the 3D models created within SketchUp.
2.) The student or casual user who tinkers with 3D modeling and the web based version is more than adequate to serve their needs. They need a free product and they don’t really need too many bells and whistles. The native SU tools are good enough, no specialized plugins are needed.
3.) And finally the semi-pro user who would like to use SketchUp but either their project is a one off or they simply don’t generate enough revenue to justify the cost of licensing SketchUp Pro. This is the user group that was impacted most heavily by the discontinuation of Make. Pro is too expensive and the web based version (without the plugins) is too watered down and inconvenient to use. Let’s face it Make 2017 is still a vastly superior product compared to the current web based version of SketchUp, it just is.

Fortunately, Make 2017 is still available and this third user base can still fall back to this alternative if they so choose. However, eventually it will become too obsolete, and in my mind SketchUp stands to loose out on a huge chuck of the market when this becomes the case.

I like Dan’s proposed pricing models in the above link, I really do think he is onto something with what he has proposed. Wouldn’t it be better to pick up this third segment of the market with a slightly watered down version of Pro in the $100 - $200 range rather than simply toss the opportunity away?

Some will argue that doing so will cannibalize the full fledged Pro licenses. Perhaps that is true to some degree, but I do believe that you still stand to gain way more customers than you would ever loose in licensees stepping down to the lesser product. Many of these semi-pro users will never even attempt to purchase a full Pro license, in fact they will look for other questionable methods of obtaining licenses for SketchUp in desperation. If you give them a reasonable alternative they will take it.

5 Likes

great point.
perhaps a new version of software selling is to pay for 24 hour of using the product. that would be great for a choise. so if i want to use the product that day i only need to pay a very small amount of money. and i can use them for 24 hours. this because alot people like me not using the product every day.

Farid, on one hand, I am not sure why you would even want to upgrade from a version you like and that works for you. I am still using V7, pre Trimble and am happier with it than with anything newer. I periodically downloaded newer google and Trimble versions, but always have returned to my V7 with a package of plugins that I have collected over the years. You mentioned you use SU for furniture design. I use SU to design my foam board model RC planes. On my case the designs ultimately are reduced to flat templates that get cut from foam sheet. I found a plugin called wafer that automatically converts the 2D (plan view) model to Gcode that I can send to my home built cnc machine. As an amateur tinkerer, V7 works perfect for me. It loads faster than any newer version, runs faster for the relatively simple models I make, doesn’t crash frequently like V8 and V13 did and doesn’t have the annoying intersection blocks or interminably slow select function I found on recent versions. If it works (for you) don’t fix it!

Another general comment, while it seems that most all software development companies are enamored with the web based program paradigm, I am convinced that it is premature. I am in rural MI and have no desire to be online with my cell system data box all day just to tinker with my foamie models. I can run my V7 SU any time day or night self contained at home.

yeah. hope s7 is suitable in the next year where it is obselete acording to 3d warehouse. which they say 3d warehouse only for latest (3 years old) software.

Comments like that are spreading misinformation.
The use of the 3d warehouse directly within sketchup does gradually change due to changes in software.

However, you can download the collada files from the warehouse in any browser and use them in basically any version of sketchup.
Same with the extension warehouse, you can download from the E Warehouse using any browser and manually install extensions.
If they are not compatible with your particular version of SU that is down to the extension developer not Trimble.

So the only thing making any versions of sketchup unusable is the OS. As the Operating System gets updated it grows beyond the software. This is out of the control of Trimble so if anyone should be getting complaints it should be the OS developers who thoughtlessly aren’t holding back their development so that older software still works with it. Much like the thoughtless car manufacturers who removed the the bit where you attach the horses a few years back.

have you try downloading colada and import it in old version of SU?

Yes I have, and I’ve just done it again now.
Here is a collada from the Featured models in SU8.

i have tried it in SU13 and make 2015 and it took very very long time to import. like an hour more.
it looks like yours are better version

As mentioned earlier in the thread, your Graphic card isn’t really strong enough to run SU well.
Even when your graphic card was brand new it wasn’t designed to run the version of SU available at that time.
Unfortunately there are minimum hardware and software requirements to run any software and one of those requirements for SU is a fairly strong graphic card.
Any further updates to SU will not alter your graphic card, nor will its ability to import Collada files improve.
I understand your predicament, but it is a fact of life and how technology works. I recently had to buy a new phone because the 6 year old system on my perfectly good phone couldn’t run the apps I wanted to use.

I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ll be a broken record and say it again, Panorama has implemented such a pricing scheme for their database program. A system of non-expiring credits for usage means a casual user doesn’t have to ante up as much as a steady, heavy user.

The problem for subscription pricing here is not unlike the subway: Everyone rides the same system (no crippled or dual class system), but there are different plans based on how much you use it. Daily commuters buy monthly passes, while visitors just pay for a few rides. With non-expiring credits on a Metro card, I may go through a bunch of credits in a visit to New York one day, and then go months with credit on my card waiting for the next time I visit.

Does over 40 years of embedded design qualify me to ride my high horse with respect to what software costs and when it is overpriced? Remember this started as a free program.

I realize that software development costs money but the model of renting software is money grubbing at its finest. A better model would be to have a rental concept for corporations at a price that is attractive to corporations but would cost more than what an individual would want to pay and having the requirement that x number of copies be purchased then have an equally capable version that has a price that is reasonable for the makers of the world. Then they can upgrade at a slightly less price than the original when they want or can afford to do so. You know the original users of the program.

I can also tell you that it costs probably a couple of hours of programming one time to also allow one’s designs to be stored on their computer.

Actually it started as a professional program and when google bought it they created the ‘Free’ version so that people would freely populate their Google earth saving them the cost involved in making all those models.

1 Like

How do you know that?

They still made it available for free.

One must remember many of the people in this forum had Sketchup before Google purchased it from @Last Software.

See this Article