How do you modify iso model dimensions without changing lumber dimensions

Hi, I’m new to SketchUp, I’m trying to modify the width of a iso drawing I made of a timber framed outdoor structure. I can’t seem to move items in without things getting distorted or changing the scale which then changes the size of the timbers.
How do I modify building width, which would then reduce roof framing dimensions, maintain pitch & timber size dimensions?
thank you so much!

Can you post an example of your SketchUp model here (the saved .skp file)? If it isn’t over about 5MB, drag and drop it into your post using File Explorer. If it is larger, upload it to a file sharing service, and post a link in your reply.

SketchUp is intended as a 3D surface modeller, not a 2D ISO drawing program. But you can create an ISO view from your 3D model, if it is drawn properly.

It sounds as though you may not have been using components or groups - so all your geometry may be interconnected and ‘sticking together’, so that if you move one thing, it drags others with it.

See learn.sketchup.com Sketchup Fundamentals videos, to get started on the right track, if you haven’t already watched them.

thank you John for responding. I’ll try to bring in model to get further assistance. I did save numerous parts in groups but I’m getting items sticking together.
Louie

foundation model.skp (263.1 KB)

John what I’m trying to accomplish is reduce structure width to 21’ or 1 foot narrower.

You need to make any part you draw into a component (my preference) or group as soon as you have drawn it.

And use Tags (called Layers in earlier versions of SketchUp) ONLY to control visibility of components, groups or dimensions.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS draw your geometry on the Untagged tag, or Layer0 in earlier versions. Leave the little pencil icon which shows the Default layer on Untagged or Layer0 ALL THE TIME.

Tags or Layers applied to edges or faces you draw do NOT stop geometry sticking together. Only components and groups do that.

You shouldn’t have any ‘loose’ geometry left in your model, except while you are drawing a new object. Then when you finish drawing that piece, select it all by triple clicking, and make it into a component. Give it a meaningful name when you create the component, so later you will be able to tell what it is, in the Outliner or Component Browser.

Hi John,
any suggestions on where to go from here? did you see the file?
Thanks

You’ve already been using components and that’s great. Where that’ll help you is if you want to change it. For example, your 10x10 rafter has one face that is reversed (the blue face is outwards) and it isn’t touching the rest of the rafter. When you edit this component to reverse the face and move it to touch the rest, all 12 copies are fixed at once.

You still have loose geometry that’s not in any group or component though. These parts will stick to anything new you draw at the top level of the model. Here’s all your loose geometry:

Foundation_loose

The dimensions being there is fine. Assigning the dimensions to another tag/layer is one of the exceptions to the rule John mentioned about everything being on layer0/untagged and turning off that layer/tag is a handy way of temporarily hiding your dimensions.

I’d start with getting everything into a component or group, especially those inside the “foundation grid” component. It’s fine that you’ve made it a component, but it would be better if you’d also made each column a component. Once you’ve done that, it’ll be easier to move them towards each other to make your building narrower.

As you have the grade line of the landscape in there, you’ll have to think about which columns you’re going to move. Move both sides 6" towards the centre, leave one side where it is and move the other one 1’, etc.