How do normal people create RCP and Light Plans? (Workflow / approach)

Let’s say you need to design a house with a lot of various ceiling-mounted light fixtures (LED spotlights, channel lights, chandeliers, etc). So you need an RCP that shows the actual outlines/shapes of the fixtures, but you also need a Light Plan that shows only the symbols of the lights.

As in, looking from below, you see it’s a chandelier, looking from above you see it’s a circle with 2 lines through it.

But I DON’T want to see the circle-line symbol in the 3D walkthrough, and I DON’T want to see the shapes of the light fixtures on the light plan. (Unless there’s an option to set it up so the fixture outline is visible, but with a different line style (much thinner and/or dotted).)

How would you set up the workflow for this?

I usually create a scenes for documentation and scenes for rendering, each scene has different tags activated and hidden objects, on layout I use the scenes for creating the different floor plans, sections, elevations, electrical, sanitary and all the plans I need. Sometimes if the project is too big I have two files, one is for documentation and the other one is for rendering, 3D tours etc.

1 Like

Assuming each fixture a component and within it a second component of the symbol. Use layers to toggle off the symbol in all views that are for visualization, and then separate scenes for plans where the fixture itself is turned off and the symbol turned on. The trick is that you know how to properly handle nested components and tagging.

I do this with my own custom dynamic windows - I have embedded in the component a cutting block as well as plan view and elevation view centerlines to ease positioning.

If you are rendering I would just have separate models for render and for construction documentation.

As to RCP, I put a section plane at the same location as for the standard plan view, but cutting away what is below, and create a “bottom” view with parallel projection and the section active. Then in LayOut I flip the view left to right.

3 Likes