How do I separate these areas?

Trying to use push pull on the large sides but I don’t know how to not include the smaller ends.https://imgur.com/a/ZAmODFW

You need to make sure the rectangle intersects the edge of the circle at all four corners. Evidently it doesn’t in your screen shot.

When you get the rectangle to intersect at all four corners, you’ll divide the face into file separate areas.

It does as far as when I zoom all the way in they touch, one of the reason I don’t understand why they are considered one piece. The left side is separated and works fine.

Upload the SKP file.

In my screen shot I drew a rectangle that has all four corners on the edge of the circle and it divided the faces as expected.

Is there a way to define where the intersects are or select the areas I need associated with others?

You have to make sure the edges intersect.

I take it you won’t share your SKP file, then?

circle.skp (1.2 MB)
here it is. When I made the rectangle I attached to one edge then expanded to the other side until I saw a green marker that I thought was an intersecting anchor point.

It’s very close but not right on. Two other corners extend beyond the edge of the circle, though. So you’ve got that going for you.

I would surggest you start over and drag out the radius of the circle on axis instead of dragging it at some random angle. This will make it easier to get your rectangle positioned correctly. In the screen shot you can see that the vertices do not fall on the axes when the circle is centered on the origin.

In general, it’s always best to drag out the radii for all circles on axis.

1 Like

OK ill give that a shot, thank you. Off topic but it would be useful while im learning to know how you did the screenshot of only the cylinder with the rectangle in your first reply.

I use a program called Screen Captor for making screen shots. It’s a free app.

thanks again :slight_smile:

He can also increase the segments of the circle.

Well,yes, he can but as far as what he is trying to do, the number of sides on the circle doesn’t matter much.

How about this?

• draw the rectangle.
  • draw a circle with a diameter well beyond the rectangle, the circle must have a pair number of segments.
  • draw a guide from the middle center of the rectangle going through a corner of the rectangle.
  • draw a line from the intersection of the guide and the circle.
  • offset the circle from that point where the line started to the corner of the rectangle.

That should work

Yes. it works but it’s extra work

Would you list some steps how to do it faster?.

This is something simple but is interesting.