How do I hate thee?

Let me count the ways…

When you’ve just spent what seems like hours resolving one of the most vexing problems that’s bugged you for months, and then you finally remember to save; and so you do, only to be greeted by the sight of the cataracts screen and spinning blue ring of death.

Don’t bother waiting for it to magically come back to life – you’re already toast, but the SketchUp devs are unusually cruel and they hate you with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

I’m not sure I understand your wording, but I gather that the late attempt to save failed and progress on the model was lost (again). My condolences! After a few occurrences of such disappointments (to put it mildly), I would get into the habit of manually saving very frequently (in the hope that most of the saves will succeed, limiting the scope of lost work when one of the saves fails).

I am curious if you can estimate what percentage of save attempts fails? I hope it’s a small percentage. Is there anything in common that you can think of when they fail? For example, the use of extensions that perform non-trivial modeling actions?

1 Like

Are you saving to an external or network drive ?

If this is the case, I suggest that you always save to your internal hard drive.

Then, when done, transfer the file to the external drive.

1 Like

Always to the internal drive. I backup these saves to the external drives later, before I sign off for the night.

1 Like

To be fair, very few saves fail, but it always seems to be those that will cause me the most pain.

The only extensions I have installed are CleanUp3 and V-Ray, and I used neither this time. There may be some correlation, but I can’t say for sure. My guess is it’s more to do with this laptop’s woefully inadequate specs. And probably some user error too. :grin:

1 Like

That seems plausible (not knowing details of either the model’s complexity or the laptop memory and other competing application demand for that memory). When performing a Save operation SketchUp needs to traverse the model’c complete in-memory representation. If the operating system considers free physical RAM memory to be running low, parts of an application’s memory can be “paged out” to disk/SSD/etc. This is normally harmless (and keeps the system running when resources are low). The next time that the application references the paged-out memory the operating system will automatically (and transparently to the application) page those parts of memory back in from disk/SSD to RAM. Usually that’s perfectly fine.

If physical memory is really tight and an application starts referencing large amounts of paged-out memory, the system can struggle (having to page some other memory out to disk/SSD before paging in the referenced memory). An application crash is not supposed to happen, but if memory is tight, a combination of page-in demand and requests for brand new application memory (such as I/O buffers to write the data to disk/SSD) could exceed what the operating system can support. Some kind of software fault condition will be reported to the application. How the application responds to such a fault depends on how the application code was written. Mission-critical code will go to heroic lengths to try to cope with (or prevent) such conditions, but typical code will throw in the towel and crash.

1 Like

This laptop is always paging. It has 4GB RAM. Much of my life is devoted to being mesmerized by the HDD LED. I wait for it to flash, but it never does. It’s just on. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Ouch! I pity your lot in life, as C-3PO might say.

2 Likes

My favorite game is clicking the Windows Start button then seeing if I can fix coffee and a sandwich before the Start window opens. My record so far is coffee and an entire buffet.

I removed some words from tags fields of your initial post, and I have to tell you that is not a game.

https://forums.sketchup.com/faq
Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.

3 Likes

I constantly forget how deadly serious this place is. Why the Feds haven’t raided me yet is a mystery.

1 Like

No it isn’t, but it is not (insert your choice of social media) either.

2 Likes

It sucks that there’s nothing else to read here.

It also sucks that you apparently have inadequate tools to support your chosen task. The forum community cannot help very much with that shortcoming.

1 Like

You NEED a new PC! :wink:

I tell people they need at least 16 GB to model… I would recommend 32.

1 Like

Windows 10 needs 2GB of Ram Minimum
SketchUp for Desktop needs 4GB of Ram minimum

Your machine has 4GB total…

:thinking:

No wonder the poor thing is struggling - and on a platter drive no less.

1 Like

I’ve got 128! LOL!

1 Like

A friend at a big animation studio has 1 TERAbyte at his disposal, and 128 cores. He has been a VFX artist for more than 25 years, and the lead on some of the biggest animated movies of all time. I like to give him advice. He appreciates it.

To be fair, I’ve been able to model most of a tank on this thing and with relatively few BugSplats, considering. There are people with incredible hardware who seem to do little more than complain about SUP 2023. I consider myself to be fortunate. :grin:

2 Likes