How do I calculate length and width by square footage?

Most people calculate the opposite thing, but in this case i need to create a rectangle that is exactly 450 sq/ft.
This isn’t the same as calculating square footage, its the opposite. Getting the length and width from the square footage.
I would really appreciate this,

Thank you for your help!

• frogolive

There’s a plugin from SDMitch called Fixed Area that would probably do the trick for you.

1 Like

Thank you

I’m curious about the scenario. Do the dimensions or ratio of the rectangle not matter? If not, then you could make a 10’ x 45’ rectangle, right?

If it’s perfectly square, then would finding out the square root solve the problem? You can Google Square Roots, luckily. The 4 sides of a square 450 sq ft area would each be 21.2132034356, if that is the concern.

I think thats my answer! If i find the square root of the square footage on google square roots, i should find it, Thank you!

Unless you specify either the ratio between the sides (e.g., 1:1 for a square) , or the length of one of them, there is an infinite number of answers for rectangles of a given square footage.

In this case the studio that i am making is a square, what do i do with the 1:1 ratio?

Just calculate the square root of 450 and that’ll be the length of the sides of the square. Since both sides are the same length, the ratio is 1:1.

Well, if all the rectangles you want are square, you just do as you are doing: take the square root of the area.

Otherwise, it’s solving an algebraic equation

Thanks

@frogolive, a 1:1 ratio sounds like you just need the square root. You don’t even need a calculator for situations like this, fortunately. I googled “Square root of 450” and it gave me a direct answer. Let us know how that works out for you!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.