How can i transform a 2d image to a 3d model?

perdon creo estar en la seccion equivocada…pero siguiendo el tema… en youtube he visto una hoja de papel con el diseño basico en la lateral en 2d y luego asi mismo lo copio en secciones y lo pego a los ejes y lo transformo en 3d… mi pregunta es como inserto un dibujo de 2d en skechup? o hay alguna extension en que pueda dibujar en 2d y luego importarla para hacerla 3d?? si alguien sabe que me avise soy muy muy nuevo aqui con este programa max 6 hrs de uso…gracias…

Just logged on purely to say thanks for making this excellent plugin!

Hi Jim - I seem to be experiencing some similar issues as some others that have asked for help in this thread.

I download the plugin - installed the extension in sketchup - followed the steps correctly (I think!) but when I select the BMP file and click Open, nothing happens/appears.

I have read through this thread and tried changing the camera to Parallel Projection and Zoom Extents with no luck. I don’t know if the problem is with my BMP image file or something else. I also opened the Ruby Console but the info that it displays may as well be in Latin as I have no idea what to look for. I do know that what my Ruby Console displays is nothing like one of your examples.

I should also mention that even though I installed the plugin via Preferences>Extensions and can select BMP Tracer in the Plugins drop down, BMP Tracer does NOT appear in my Extensions.

Any guidance you can provide is much appreciated! Thank you.

I’m sorry you’re having problems :frowning_face:

Can you cut and paste the results you’re getting? This will help me figure out the problem. Also, the image you’re trying to import would be helpful (if you don’t want to share it due to privacy concerns, post something similar).

It may be caused by the plugin not being registered … not sure (it doesn’t show up in my install, either).

hey, thats a goodie !

thx Jim

Hello again Jim - below is a copy and paste of what the Ruby Console shows when try to import the logo below.

r:0 g:0 b:0
Reading /Users/patrickream/Pictures/Blues logo bmp.bmp (2018-12-17 23:56:37 -0600)
FO: 54
Width:300 Height:65294
Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method unpack' for nil:NilClass> /Users/patrickream/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:208:inblock in spirix_get_bmp_points’
/Users/patrickream/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:207:in each' /Users/patrickream/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:207:inspirix_get_bmp_points’
/Users/patrickream/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:52:in spirix_bmp_tracer' /Users/patrickream/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:312:inblock in module:BMP_Tracer
-e:1:in `call’

Blues%20logo%202

The plugin requires a 24-bit color BMP file with “crisp” edges. The JPG you attached looks like this up close:

I opened it in Gimp and converted it to grayscale before adjusting the b/w threshold. Exporting it as a 24-bit color BMP gives this (the forum doesn’t allow uploading BMP files, for some reason):

Importing it into SketchUp where R=0, G=0, and B=0:

The image you posted is only 300 x 242 pixels. As a result, the edges are quite choppy. As a rule, the bigger the image, the better the results. Here’s an example of using one from Wikipedia (1024 x 818):

(By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=22097062)

This one can be converted directly to 24-bit BMP … you’ll have to add a slight border as one of the requirements is that the desired image mustn’t touch the edge of the frame.

Running the import three times using RGB values of [0,38,84] for the black, [252,181,20] for the gold, and [0,47,135] for the blue (and coloring the outlines):

Hope this helps … let me know how you are progressing.

BTW, I typically use Windows 7 Paint application … here’s how to use it to discover the RGB settings: