How can I mirror a window to the other side of a cylinder?

The depth of the mounting blocks is exactly 1’ 6" too. If everything else stays the same, it should all work out.

That’s the blue dimension. The existing (and external) track mounting blocks are 4’ (red) 2’( green) and 1’6 (blue) dimensions.

I propose narrowing the green ‘depth’ to 1’9 to clear. At 2’, they overlap.

Like this: hope this clarifies things.

If you were to go to 10’ OA, the existing 2’ deep blocks would just touch ([EDIT] I thought. Now, I think they’d still interfere), with no clearances anywhere

Just seen that I shortened the yellow canopy one level too much. Now fixed.

BTW. the power train now rotates about green axis, but doesn’t tilt

Do you want me to make any further changes, or upload as currently drawn with canopy depth fixed?

Yea!
BTW, I have 62 - 64 columns mounted in the foundation, or will once the right side is mirrored to the left.
I am uncertain between 62 & 64 until I figure out the degree of elevator shaft creep.

You can upload it. I’m not quite sure where things are until I see it anyway.

OK. Here’s current internal elevator. Not sure if internal lighting is in right place along green. If not, just move it to your satisfaction.

Internal Elevator Assy.skp (1.5 MB)

All dimensions are on Dims layer. Turn it on to see them, off if you don’t want to see them, or delete layer to get rid of them altogether.

And IMPORT the model to a new or existing drawing to have the DC rotation work (I think). If you just open it, you may in effect explode the outer container, and lose the DC settings for it.

I still haven’t seen that - it never attached to any email, and you haven’t sent me a link to any uploaded file.

I know. I’m still working on it. Soon I’ll need your help in mirroring it though. There’s a lot of stratagizing going on …

OK. if it would help to share the strategising by Skype, just call in next 15-20 mins, or tomorrow.

Othewise, I’ll try a little longer on the DC door mechanism, or go to bath and bed - 11:30pm here.

Maybe tomorrow. I’ve been researching and trying different strategies, so I need to sleep on it to feel comfortable with it. There will be two tiers of columns:
A. The foundational columns. These are the ones that curve, or in the case of the two 200’ ends of the arch that taper inward, curve AND slant in 11.31 degrees. There are 4 rows of slanting columns in each 200’ end, so basically, one row will merge with the “core” 400’ wide building (i.e. the straight columns) every 250’ (250 goes into 1000’ 4 times).
The foundational columns present a challenge, of course, in that they will curve on the higher floors and become somewhat obstructive. Since these are all 4’ deep across the 250’ legs of the arch, and 6’ wide across the 800’ part of the legs, that will eventually be 4’ of mostly horizontal “beam” to deal with. There will be some tricky apartment corners and even windows in some places. But, there are only 4 rows (hence the large size of each column; it’s a trade-off in reduced number of columns vs. strength per column), so it is handlable.
B. The basket columns and beams (across). These will be the standard vertical and horizontal columns, but limited to a floor, or a few floors since, clearly, the bending of the arch will limit their length. The beams will provide lateral support while the vertical columns will augment the foundational columns.
I’m not worried about these second tier columns. I can place them as needed. The important thing is that there be enough strength to support the arch in the foundational columns. I believe 62-64 X 2 (for each leg) = 114-118 will be sufficient for the 1000’ structure.

Keep in mind too that the elevator shafts and track columns will be self-supporting. That’s what the concrete 4’ or 2 2’ wide columns are for. The outer elevators will have additional 3’ deep X 20’ 4" wide (plus 8" wall on the end to make 21’) too and these are load bearing as well. There’s an inner column, also slanted in that area, in the entrance way too.

I need to figure out the shaft creep. See the following somewhat crude illustration of the problem.
Internal Elevator 2.skp (2.0 MB)
This is how the elevator will move, minus a wall, at a 45 degree angle, roughly the 50th floor. While technically, it takes no more shaft space than when it is vertical, in practical terms, the angled wall is not useful space so I will seal it off (except on the 87th floor where the legs join…and where I have big plans for a recreational space, among other things).
I need to determine if shaft creep will bump up against a column placed there. Of course, I could run a column up to that point, and then terminate it if it gets in the way. The floors above obviously represent less weight, so by then it won’t be as structurally necessary. The column will bend out of the way (actually of the stairwell, not the elevator, but they will run mostly in parallel), but maybe not enough, given the need to extend the wall to preserve verticality at the end of the shaft (inside the elevator is moving diagonally, of course).

OK, I’ll let you sleep now :slight_smile:

V quick response. Your shaft seems almost 11’ deep. I put the new internal elevator into your drawing. Found I had to explode it once to get Internal Elevator DC Options (sorry, will fix later), and a plan view section plane.

Opening seems to be 11’ clear inside, not 10’

??

Well, this one probably is. Like I said, this is a crude representation of shaft creep, not how things will really look. In the elevator islands we worked on it is just 10’ inside front to back.

OK. So this was a mockup of part of an upper floor, but you have changed depths since?

Yes, and elevator too.

Right.

I’m getting clearer.

Drawing your sloping outside columns for the main arch structure, let alone building them, is going to be a challenge!

All levels different, I think? Design floor by floor, do you think?

Anyway, enough for tonght. Off to bath.

GN

Well, you put the outer elevator inside, so that is more complicated than it needs to be. The internal elevator won’t have the slant so the tracks don’t need to rotate. And actually there is less stress inside because the tracks are on the underside, not overhead as they are outside.

There is some difference between floors but not as much as it might seem.
Because even as the arch narrows, there is more horizontal space between the curved walls as you move higher up, so it stays pretty close to 250’ across that way throughout, until you get to 87,when everything changes. So, it’s more a matter of shifting the apartments every floor (or, really, I hope to do this only every two or even only every three floors, and the apartments will just be different sizes near the curves, but inline). This is one reason for the 10" floors, so there’s room to go right angle with electrical work. Plumbing is another matter, but I have that figured out too…

[HAven’t made it to the bath yet …]

Do the motor mounts go like this then, inside?

I drew the Inside elevator based on outside elevator components - you said, I thought, that the only difference was the inner cylinder, and that the tracks and motor housings didn’t need to tilt.

Clarify by Skype when next convenient, but not tonight. I really AM off to bath now.

No, in the file I sent you it is the old inside elevator and there are no tracks at the moment (them having been detached from the main elevator model at left at some point). So, no we won’t need to put the rotating model inside, just the smaller one with the simpler mounting that is less than 10’ deep.