Hollow components

I haven’t been able to find an answer to my dilemma on the forum so will start a new topic. FYI, I’m using the 2017 free SU version on a Mac laptop.

I’m trying to create a stretcher between two table legs. Here’s what I do: Draw a rectangle on one component leg and pull it to meet the other leg. Before doing so, I hit “Option”. When I pull it out, the stretcher has a solid end, but when I turn it into a component, it becomes hollow.

If I do the same operation but terminate the stretcher before it meets the 2nd leg, it does have a solid end after turning it into a component. But once I terminate the stretcher into the leg, it’s hollow again.

Why this seems inconsistent: If I create a detached rectangle, pull it into a solid and make it into a component, it remains solid. So what’s the difference between the solid detached component and the hollow one that’s part of my table? It seems like both operations should behave the same way.

Can someone explain this please?

Why are you hitting option?
Here is a simple version, are you doing something different?
I draw the rectangle, use Pushpull to the other leg, triple click to select all the new geometry and make it a component.
Stretcher

It sounds to me as if you haven’t made the legs components before modeling the stretcher.

You need to make sure each leg is a component first so the stretcher doesn’t attach to the legs.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Box, the first hundred-or-so times I tried pulling the stretcher from one leg to the other, I didn’t hit “option”, but read somewhere on this forum that if I did it would solve the problem. Obviously, it didn’t. As far as I can tell, I’m doing it exactly the same way you are. It appears you are using a different version of SU than I am, but wouldn’t expect that would make any difference.

Dave, Yes, I did make the legs into components before I modeled the stretcher and made it into a component. The stretcher doesn’t attach to the leg, but if I move it to where I can see the end, it’s hollow.

Maybe you can share your SketchUp model file so we can see what you have?

Dave, I’m not sure I’m doing this properly…never done it before, and can’t figure out how to view what I’m uploading. Hopefully you can see what’s going on.

AutoSave_TV Cabinet_2.skp (81.9 KB)

Between which legs are you struggling to create a stretcher? I tried a couple and it worked fine… I do notice z-fighting near the top of the two legs set off to the side, which could be a source of trouble:

I’m curious about how you drew the stretcher and then selected it to make the component. When I move the leg up on that end, I see some ungrouped edges which are actually on the outside of the leg.It doesn’t seem like there’s any reason for those edges. How did they get there?

I’ve tried creating stretchers between every leg in every direction, all with the same result.

I’m not sure what “z-fighting” means.

My process for making the stretcher is as follows: Draw 2" rectangle on leg component. Pull rectangle to terminate stretcher at 2nd leg. Select parts of the new stretcher by drawing rectangle to cross stretcher sides with select tool. Choose “create component”.

I’m not sure how those ungrouped edges got there, but I’m guessing they are remnants of rectangles I’d drawn on the other side of the leg to create another stretcher on that side.

Finally getting back to your model. I think I see why you are having this problem. At the top of the inside faces of both of those legs with the curves, you have drawn a square. I’ve moved the legs over to show the two squares.

When you extrude one of those squares to meet the other, that other face ends up canceling out the face on the extrusion. Why have you drawn that second, unneeded square?

z-fighting is a flickering effect that OpenGL graphics displays as you orbit the model when two surfaces are placed so close together that the graphics can’t determine which is supposed to be closer, hence the one to be displayed. In your case, the extra squares that @DaveR pointed out are exactly atop a face on the leg.

I expect those squares are remnants of many other attempts at making the stretchers. I’ll go back and delete them all. Thanks so much for your persistence on this. I’ve learned quite a bit already today.

A little homework, check out this site The learning Center

Thanks Dave,
I’ll be spending a bit of time at the learning center…

If, after you get through that, you want some instruction specifically related to modeling furniture, let me know. I can help.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it, assuming my frustration meter doesn’t max out.