Holes on a chamfered surface

I’m trying to create multiple holes on a inward chamfered surface, but its not letting me. When I create a number of holes in a radius on the chamfer, they lose their full circularity…they become broken. If I try to push one to create a hole, it gives me a error.
Part
error

0 Likes

Could you upload what you’ve got? It’ll be easier to tell you how to correct it or draw it if we can see it.

0 Likes

I didn’t catch that those last two words are links to screen shots.

The trick for this sort of thing is to draw a “drill” and use it to intersect the part. I’ll make an example for you. Hang tight. Or loose.

0 Likes

Here ya go

dial with holes.skp (72.2 KB)

0 Likes

I did this. Hopefully it makes sense.

Back left, cylinders drawn. I drew one and Rotate/Copied to get the rest. Working centered on the origin makes that easier.

I reversed the faces of the cylinders so the face orientation in the holes would be correct. I use green for my back face color. Then Select it all and run Intersect Faces>With Selection.

Delete the unneeded parts of the drills and the faces skinning the holes.

I looked at your model. Is the radius of the desired holes correct at 1.588608mm?

0 Likes

Hmm. That’s a reasonably close approximation to 1/16 inch?

0 Likes

Hello! Here’s another approach by me.

0 Likes

That was just a quick example of what I’m trying to do. I’ve got a part already built, but just needed to know how to do it, since nothing else was working…but the holes are around 1/8 on the part I’m working on.

0 Likes

This looks awesome, but the problem is, circle was constructed of 80 faces…I wanted it as round as possible. Otherwise I would’ve done it that way.

1 Like

I’m going to give this a try…thank you so much for the help!!

0 Likes

You’re welcome. I would have shown the way VahePogossian did except I figured you’d want smoother surfaces on the dial. The basic process I showed will work for other things, too. Good luck.

1 Like

Not to mention that can not push/pull thru curved surfaces. Best bet is to do as mentioned and make a ‘drill’. Ive used this technique many times and have yet to find another solution. But, if I recall correctly, there is a plugin that can do this. Sadly, Ive forgotten the name… perhaps someone else will chime in with the name.

0 Likes

Joint Push Pull works… but the drill idea is more simple to use.

0 Likes

Another of Fredo’s that could be useful here is Visuhole. Mind you, Dave’s option is usually the most accurate.

1 Like

Oh wow, I have some of his tools, but not that one…thank you!

0 Likes