Hobby mihai.s

Using SketchUp to make a miniature house of an existing real one.

1. Take a few photos of the house;

2. Use SketchUp > Import > New Matched Photo;

3. Export from SketchUp model a few 2D Graphic… Top View, Front/Back View, Left/Right View and an Align View to the roof;

4. Print all of this photos and start crafting. :slightly_smiling_face:

day view

night view

general top view

The real house-hut was made in the mid-ninteenth century by local craftsmen.

+1 for JimD (Hey makers! We want you to Show Us Your Shop! - #21 by JimD)

26 Likes

Very nice! How was the physical model fabricated?

1 Like

Thank you, @TDahl !

To answer your question, I’ll make a presentation of how I worked for doing that model, but because I use Google Translate to write in english, I will use more pictures for examples and fewer words. I hope it’s ok.

I drew the contour of the base of the house on a sheet of paper. I used small pebbles for the base, which I glued together with adhesive.

For the beams I used balsa wood, and for the floor I used some wooden slats. The “beaten earth” of the porch (prispa), I created it using gypsum/plaster and than painted it.

The walls were made of chopsticks for skewers, glued at the corners with wood glue. After that, I put on them with gauze, and then dressed everything with gypsum.

For both, the wood in the corners and the wood used for beams, doors or windows, to give them the old patina, I used a soldering gun, or matches, and two substance: Patina Varnish and Picture Cracking Varnish.

The roof structure is made of the same wood, and the shingle also made of balsa wood.

I used the same materials and the same technique for making the outside kitchen, fountain and fence.

That’s it!

Have a nice day!

16 Likes

Beautiful work. I am very pleased that you created the model by hand - very nice. I used to do a lot of modeling 40 to 45 years ago, some kits, many things from scratch (still in boxes in my current basement). Makes me smile just thinking about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: Thank you!

That was the third miniature house I’ve done, I’m trying to learn the technique working.
And this was the first.

Maybe in a few days you will say you have resumed modeling. :wink:

5 Likes

I added three models for the “Model Garden” @ 3D Basecamp, I hope the models are correct (passed verification with Solid Inspector 2) and 3d-printable, being the first of this kind for me.

I chose to create the virtual models of “Sculptural Ensemble of Constantin Brâncuși at Târgu Jiu” (was a Romanian sculptor, painter and photographer. Considered a pioneer of modernism, one of the most influential sculptors of the 20th-century.)

The Sculptural Ensemble of Constantin Brâncuși at Târgu Jiu is an homage to the Romanian heroes. The ensemble comprises three sculptures: The Table of Silence, The Gate of the Kiss and the Endless Column, on an axis ~1.500 m (~4,920 ft) long, oriented west to east. The ensemble is considered to be one of the great works of 20th-century outdoor sculpture.

The Table of Silence (Masa tăcerii) - SKP 3D model

The Gate of the Kiss (Poarta sărutului) - SKP 3D model

The Endless Column (Coloana fără sfârșit) - SKP 3D model

All three models are miniature and fit into a 4 "x 4" x 6" (10 x 10 x 15 cm) box.

Brancusi 3D Warehouse Collection

4 Likes

Nice table for exhibits, @TheOnlyAaron! :wink:

Wooden boards have a thickness of 2 cm?

1 Like

1" rigid foam installation sprayed with Plastidip (gotta keep it light for shipping)!

1 Like

Small greek house at Elephant (Ελέφαντας), Kimolos Island, Greece

work in progress…

9 Likes

Tourlitis Lighthouse, Chora, Andros island, Greece

work in progress…

11 Likes

Je suis jaloux ! Quel beau travail ! Très impressionnant ! Il faut nous faire faire voir une vidéo de montage de tout ça stp !

1 Like

Je pense à un moyen de présenter les phases importantes de la modélisation. Le phare est realisé en SketchUp, et la roche que je l’ai crée dans Sculptris, je l’ai importée sous la forme d’un fichier OBJ en SketchUp et, avec le plug-in Artisan, je l’ai assortie avec la base du phare et autour des escaliers extérieurs vers la mer. Ensuite, je l’ai réimportée dans Sculptris, je l’ai ajoutée d’autres détails et je l’ai repeintée sa texture, puis je l’ai exportée de nouveau sous le format OBJ. Dans Blender, j’ai finie la texture, ayant déjà UV unwrap et UV map de Sculptris. Puis, j’ai importé le fichier texturé dans SketchUp.

Ceci est une brève description de la modélisation.

Merci pour les belles paroles, @issadrabo!

I’m thinking of a way to present the more important phases of the workflow.
The lighthouse is made in SketchUp, and the rock I created it in Sculptris, I imported it as an OBJ file in SketchUp, and with the Artisan plug-in I matched it with the lighthouse base and around the outer stairs to the sea. Then I imported it again into Sculptris, added other details and painted its texture, exporting it again as OBJ. In Blender I finished the texture, already having a UV unwrap and a UV map from Sculptris. I’ve imported the textured file into SketchUp.
This is the brief description of the modeling workflow.

Thanks for the kind words, issadrabo!

Modeling the cliff in SketchUp & Sculptris

2 Likes

Merci

1 Like

cool…

1 Like

Discovering Twinmotion 2019 Free by Epic (free until nov 2019)

Epic and Twinmotion join forces to offer easy, high-quality real-time visualization - announcement

SketchUp 3D model

3 Likes

Modeling a golf ball in SketchUp
plugins I’ve used:

• Place Shapes Toolbar
  • Artisan Organic Toolset
  • Selection Toys
  • Vertex Tools
3 Likes

Modeling a basketball in SketchUp
plugins I’ve used:

• Shapes
  • Vertex Tools
  • Mirror
  • QuadFaceTools
  • Artisan Organic Toolset
3 Likes

Mă bucur că dau de un român pe aici! Great work you did right there :wink:

Salut, Vlad! Bine ai venit în comunitatea SketchUp (forumul oficial)!

It is a community with people who are welcoming and willing to help when they are asked for.
Thank you!

1 Like