V-Ray (testing, learning)

• sunrise

• foggy night

6 Likes

Starting from this post

3 Likes

Sandbox > Drape

2 Likes

Works for both edges in horizontal planes, not a general solution with two arbitrary edges in space.

1 Like

Thanks, @Wo3Dan!

For ‘Top View points of intersection’

And with the help of the code created by @CAUL, now we can also find the shortest distance between the two lines, regardless of orientation. Thank you, Anders!

3 Likes

Neat solution, turning to ‘Standard Top View’ in ‘Parallel’ projection
For those without extentions and not having ‘Drape’ available (SketchUp Web Free) you can turn to ‘Intersect Faces with …’. to get the vertically ‘projected’ crossing. See green circle in image:

(draw a vertical edge from face intersection right up to the upper edge, starting somewhere where you get the red inferensing (intersection))

p.s. you can easily pre-create both triangles in the ‘Standard Front View’ in ‘Parallel’ projection.

1 Like

With Rotated Rectangle in SketchUp for Web

4 Likes

It’s a bit tricky to do but a big :heavy_plus_sign:

1 Like

Starting from draw a Face perpendicular to a Diagonal

• with CLF Perpendicular Face Tools

• with Curic Align

3 Likes

Starting from this post calculating surface area for multiple groups/components

Using FredoTools > Report on Areas

or Curic Deep Select

Starting from this post

• setting a UCS to draw in any space besides the default XY plane

• the numeric input accept x, y, z coordinates

2 Likes

Starting from this post

Maybe the next version, @Gopal ? :thinking: :grey_question: Thanks!

• DRAW Ctrl+D

• EDIT Ctrl+E

… and so on for for the other functions.

Adding a logo to an object with V-Ray Decal

6 Likes

Are you suggesting this because you like this functionality in iPad? Do you find it useful? It’s a good thought.

Hi @Gopal,

Thank you for all the work and effort that the team puts into improving SketchUp!
I took this phrase from @Wo3Dan (to whom I also thank), but it conveys the same thing that I wish for you and the team (link).

I use Windows (no iPad), but I thought of drawing those two images after seeing your post and because you constantly add new interesting things to SketchUp (for Web).
And maybe these (ex: Pie Menu) will then be added to SketchUp desktop (maybe even in the form of plugins like Bezier Curve, which will run on many versions).

I consider it very useful (and I use it), being able to streamline the way of working, increase speed and, last but not least, a simplification by using a single shortcut instead of eight or more and of course not having to search for disparate icons on your desktop.

Very simple and clearly explained how it’s working, in under one minute, in this clip (it is set to start exactly at minute 3:40):

Thank you for your interest and have a nice day!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the details! The reason I asked about iPad is SketchUp for iPad released a pie menu a couple months ago!

You can read about it here: More control, more options, more tools on iPad — SketchUp

You can see you can customize which tools are in the menu and call them up in the context of working on a model. And it sounds like this is exactly what you’re after in web / desktop.

Let me know what you think of this feature!

1 Like

Salut, @Gopal!

I will look for some videos on YouTube to see how that Pie Menu works for the iPad.
I hope that the image with all the icons at once is only for the settings, then only the necessary ones will appear depending on the context - draw, edit, etc… I will also read/translate the article to find out the details.

And of course, they will appear soon in the Windows, web/desktop versions (hopefully as a plugin) :wink:

Thank you for giving me this information!
Have a nice day!

Yes, that is just to choose what tools go into the menu. If you scroll down to the third image, you’ll see a quick video of the tool in action. It just takes a second to load the video! The iPad Pie menu consists of 8 tools.

1 Like

I watched the clip. Thanks!
The Pie Menu and Dark Mode will change/enhance (in good) the way you feel and work in SketchUp (at least for me) once they will be implemented in the Windows desktop/web versions.