Hip rafter

Marvellous, I have been stuck several days and you solve it in an instant.

Thank you very much.

Dave

If possible could you explain the steps to make the planes all the same,
Unfortunately i cannot work out how to do it. I created a large rectangle as you mentioned but the shape is different orientation to the rectangle , i cant work out how paste it on the rectangle ?

The easiest thing would be to draw the large rectangle and then draw the outline of the rafter on it. Don’t bother with the outline you have in that file.

1 Like

Thanks again.

FWIW my method is to just to draw a board (rectangular prism of the right dimensions), set it level (with long section up–that is 2x8–the “8” is vertical) and rotate by the rise over 17 (for a 4:12 roof the rotation is 4:17)… Then position it and make cuts. It’s just easier for me to take a board and do it the way I did when I was framing roofs–except then I laid out the cuts beforehand and that took more thought.

1 Like

Thanks, I started doing it similar way as you described and it works fine for common rafters, but couldn’t make the compound angle at the top of hip rafters.

If the hip rafter is coming in between two common rafters (one of few possible scenrios). the cuts are just two vertical faces at a right angle in plan. One could use solid tools to trim with the common rafters, or copy faces into the hip component and use “intersect faces”.

IF I am doing it “right”, by my book, the hip rafter component has axes aligned with the board, while the house model has axes aligned with the walls. Therefore within the hip component the plumb and level cuts are not obvious, but need to be marked with, or imported from, the model context.

2 Likes