Hi, does anybody know how to drill a hole through a cylinder

Hi, does anybody know how to drill a hole through a cylinder

drill

Two things to note:

• I revered the faces of the boring cylinder first so that the surfaces of the hole come out right-side-out inside the other cylinder
  • I knowingly positioned the boring cylinder off-center just to show it can be done.
3 Likes

Excellent solution, many thanks, Mats

Hi, I am having a similar problem but I can’t get it to work.
I am trying to drill a hole through a hollow cylinder (tube?). When I delete the drill pieces it does not heal the inner sides of the hole.
As an alternative I have tried drilling the hole in a solid cylinder as per above example (which works fine) but then when I hollow the tube by pushing an inner circle down the tube it leaves a cylinder in the centre which when deleted leaves the hole without sides so that I can “look inside” the tube. Any suggestions?

Test cylinder drill.skp (355.0 KB)

Thanks
James

Make the tube hollow before running the “drill” through it and use the Intersect operation as before.

1 Like

One thing you should straighten out first is layer usage. You are using layers incorrectly. Layer 0 should remain active at all times, all edges and faces should remain on Layer 0 and only groups and components should get assigned to other layers. Currently your model is a mess and this intersection operation for drilling the hole will make it worse. There’s also some incorrectly oriented faces that need to be fixed.

Have a look at this.
Test cylinder drill.skp (281.7 KB)

Thanks for this advice. It’s after midnight here in Australia so I’m off to bed. Will have another play with it tomorrow.