Help with Vray render?

Hello. I’m wondering if I can get some help improving this rendering. My main concerns were improving the look of the glass panels in the cabinet doors as to show a more clear view of the lighted interior of the cabinet. Also the white paint for the cabinets doesn’t look all that good to me either. Any other tips are greatly appreciated. I’m a long time SU user but just learning Vray. I included the SKP file… Thanks a bunch.

Roshie Closet 2.skp (1.3 MB)

If you want the glass to be more realistic, you need to give it something to reflect. As it is, there’s nothing behind the camera.

By the way, I did a little poking at your model. This has nothing to do with Vray but it would be a good idea to ensure proper tag usage. All edges and faces should be untagged.
Screenshot - 5_11_2022 , 8_28_33 AM

I turned on all the cabinets and walls you had hidden. I think the large rectangular light is unnecessary as it doesn’t correspond to any real light so I removed it. Render is with default settings+denoiser+auto exposure.

Another try. IMO it looks better without all the rectangle lights that create an odd effect - the glass in real life won’t emit light…

2 Likes

A key consideration is that a render is generally about a selling a product, so having a specific plan there is very important.
Is this a cozy walk-in closet (darker ambient light), or bright and airy (would need to be brighter than current)?
Is it traditional or modern - be more obvious about that - if possible.
Make use of Cosmos accessories.
The bright edges of the shelves are distracting.
White window frame competes with shelving - consider changing.
Consider a foreground element, chair, etc., possibly out of focus.
Experiment with material settings, reflection, coatings, etc.

1 Like

Dave. Thanks a lot for taking the time. These types of tips are priceless to me. I’ve used SU for a long time but I’m not sure what “tagging” is. Is it basically when you apply a specific name to a component or group??

Thanks Anssi. I agree with you on the rectangle lights. I was trying to show an effect of LED lights that will be in the cabinets with the glass doors. The actual lights are LED strip lighting in an aluminum extrusion that gets recessed into the side of the cabinets on the inside. What if I drew those and added “mesh lighting” to them? Appreciate your time…

Thanks GSTUDIOS. These are great points. I think I’ll recess the shelves a bit into the cabinet. I think I need to watch some tutorials on material settings. I’m trying to use mostly Vray materials in their default mode until I learn how to tweak them. I really appreciate your feedback. I’m sure you’ll hear from me again…

Up until a few years ago tags were layers. In either case they are a property you can assign to a group or component. Mainly used for controlling visibility of the groups and components in your model. The “rule” is that all raw geometry (edges and faces) should be created and remain untagged. Only groups and components get tags.