Help with making a "Block" style item



hi all, ive just started using sketchup and i was using AutoCAD before. Im doing some stuff for uni and want to know how to make autocad style blocks in sketchup.

So specifically i used to use a contemporary slatted panel style block that would allow me to click a blue arrow and edit the size of the block. This used to have horizontal slat and a gap between them and when i dragged the blue arrow “POOF!” more would appear with the exact gap etc. Also, the panels had rear verticals that hold the horizontal beams on and if i used the blue arrow before, it would re-distribute the verticals to be evenly spaced along the panel.


i should add that i know how to make a component but i dont know what to do next to try to create something similar to what i had been using in Autocad

any help would be much appreciated


It sounds like something I’ve seen using Dynamic Components.

I think dynamics are Pro version only, but you can achieve similar to what you describe using native tools and “move copy” operations together with push/ pull to adjust the length of the “beams” to match the new slat coverage. It’s a little more work but less setting up, depends how often you use the thing I suppose.


A Component in SketchUp is virtually identical to the object called “Block” in AutoCad. A Dynamic Component is functionally very similar to a “Dynamic Block” in Autocad, but authoring dynamic components can only be done in the SketchUp Pro version.


This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.