Help with drawing some curves

One thing I cant figure out is once I curve everything out and I combine all the pieces I cannot push pull anything.Capture66

That’s because you don’t have a face. Maybe there is a tiny gap somewhere. The circles do have faces, you can push-pull them…
Looks like the bottom half is not symmetric. You could delete the right half that doesn’t seem right and mirror the left half…
Edit: If you share the.skp file someone could figure out why the face doesn’t form…

1 Like

sample.skp (340.2 KB)

Can you do a save as and save as a 2017 file. I can’t open it.
Also change your profile, it states you are using 2018. Your file is 2021…

Here you go.sample_2017.skp (596.8 KB)

Maybe you should start here at The Learning Center. SketchUp is not an easy program to pick up in one or two days.

1 Like

sample_2017 fixed.skp (685,0 KB)
I guess you mirrored it wrong because it is off-axis.
I drew a line from the top to the bottom and it closed! after that i rotated a copy aroud the midline and cleaned it up.

1 Like

@JustinG is a member since 2018. I guess he knows most of the basics by now…

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this. I am trying to get my mini mill working again, haven’t used it in about two years since the sprockets broke. I bought this clamp over two years ago but its not for my mini mill and I have to modify it so I can get the plate printed on a cnc. Once I get the plate drawn out I can move the screw holes to where it needs to be for the motor mount.

Yes, I have been using Sketchup for a few years but its only off and on or whenever I am trying to draw something. I don’t think I will eve be good like you guys including DaveR and Box. I would have to use it everyday to get like you guys.

Thanks again for the help.

I just opened it up and I can’t believe it. This looks exactly like the plate.

tweenulzeven, how did you do the flip to mirror the lines? I looked at the video a few time but I haven’t been able to figure out what you did. I was trying to figure that out but I never use all those fancy moves like you guys do, that’s why it takes me 500 hours to draw anything.

I copy rotated it around the line i drew from the top to the bottom.
Because your plate is off-axis, you need to tell sketchup the rotation plane the following way: select everything you want to rotate, select rotate tool and hit ctrl for copy-mode, leftclick and hold on for instance the top endpoint of the midline. Now drag the cursor along the midline to for instance the bottom endpoint of the midline and release. click somewhere left of the midline on the shape you drew and rotate 180 degrees.

Something to keep in mind, geometry normally lines up in some way, it isn’t generally random. A shape like you have there is probably a set of circles and the SU inference engine helps make things like that easy.
I’m not saying this is your shape, I’m just giving you a demo of how some geometry can fit together and retain the inference points. I’ve tried to do this slowly so you can follow what is happening. Note how the points change colour when they hit the midpoints. And I use the click drag method to set the axis of rotation, but you could easily use the up arrow to set the rotation to blue. The circles I draw at the end are just to show they will all snap to the midpoint of the relevant curves.
Midpoints

4 Likes