Help on design

advice

I’m having some issues with my bonsai pot design. I am trying to get all the faces to be the same because the exported design is throwing up flags in Cura. I have tried reversing all the faces and intersecting faces with no luck. I have attached the .skp if you want to take a look at it.

Bonsai.skp (346.2 KB)

0 Likes

Your model has a lot of problems. No wall thickness in the sides, off axis geometry and other issues. Frankly I’d start from scratch. Give me a few minutes and I’ll post something to give you some guidance.

1 Like

First few steps of one way to do this:

Draw a cross section profile and a rectangle as a path. Use Follow Me to create the pot. Then use the 2-Point Arc tool to draw arcs and Push/Pull to create the feet.

Circle tool and Push/Pull in the bottom to create drainage holes. Compare the finished one I drew to yours.

Bonsai.skp (290.2 KB)

1 Like

Thanks, @DaveR! I appreciate the feedback. I was exploring different shapes and accents for the pot, and I settled on this design but got lazy and didn’t want to make a proper design :grimacing: Lesson learned about cutting corners. Anyways, thanks for the help!

0 Likes

Exploring options is a good thing and since you are doing it digitally, you aren’t really committed to any of your design ideas. But, if you want to be able to make modifications to the design and try out various options, a clean model with solids will always be the easiest to work with as well as the fastest. Cutting corners on the front end often means you spend more time later so it’s usually not worth it.

0 Likes