Help needed with selecting an area

hi there,
I am using Sketchup for Web (the downloaded app) to draw a garden, currently in 2D, and no I want to add some 3D elements. I have watched several videos quite a while ago, but I am learning as I go along, which is not ideal, but I have tried to search this problem but don’t know what to call it.
As you can see, when I select one area (to paint or push/pull) it includes many of the other areas too. I have tried to ‘repair’ (?) lines, I have drawn it inside a rectangle, and looked at softening lines, but nothing has completely solved the issue. This model has been duplicated several lines, it was coloured in at one point and had labels and measurements but I removed all of those to now have a clean white drawing to add surfaces with some textured paint and also import some trees etc.
AKD KAM SU FINAL 2D + 3D 180423.skp (156.2 KB)
I want to know if it is not completely flat, or what else can it be? I use Sketchup for fun from time to time and the darker line is fairly new to me.

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series. It covers the basics for each tool.

Turn on Hidden Geometry. Erase the stray lines. Also, there is a flipped face in the corner. Use Reverse Faces.

You may want to consider upgrading to Pro.

As you said that’s not ideal. It would better to spend some time learning before going blindly into the use of any software, the problems you describe are very easy to solve having just the basics knowledges. Go to the links of the sketchup campus and follow those free courses that will give you the tools to start modeling by your own avoiding the problems you have now.

thanks - I have watched many videos in the past but will revisit.

thanks - I thought I’d unhidden all lines already, even thought the box wasn’t checked now. the big boxes to the side were part of my experimenting, and were only flipped when I was switching between inverting selection and faces. I can’t see other stray lines but will look again, and the videos may help with that too.

I will go through all those steps but I am just wondering if in summary, the existing drawing is fixable or if I will need to redraw?

which tools in Pro would help with this?

Oops - I used the Enroth Flatten to Plane extension first. I didn’t realize that it had flattened before I selected Show Hidden Geometry. Showing Hidden Geometry first doesn’t work!

Extensions would be one reason to use Pro. Another is that it appears that you are using SketchUp for professional work.

You might even consider deleting the link to your file as it has a customer name and address.

Another way to fix this is to delete an edge from the reversed face.

thank you for this. I’m hoping the videos will show me how to reveal the hidden geometry.
I will look into the Pro version but have very little opportunity to work unfortunately.

Try just deleting the little line segment as shown in the second video.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.