HELP HELP PANIC - Applying an image to a cone

PLEASE help!!! I have to draw a cone dome that has “string art” applied to it. EEEK!! Decided the easiest way was to apply an image to the cone, but how I have no clue. I tried the usual method of applying an image to a curve but that was a disaster. Please note the attached string art circle is just rubbish as a test until I figure out the method or get some badly needed advice, but this is what I am hoping to achieve. Palpitations setting in… The last image was a previous item I had to draw, that was easy, this not so much at all. PS - The area that appears black in the test image will be transparent. The dome will be created out of strips of cloth in actual making of the cone. image

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 8.46.20 am Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 8.48.17 am

The test image is a .JPG
JPG doesn’t support transparency. PNG does.

Import the PNG image into SketchUp
Position the image above the cone.
Scale and Move the image to align with the cone and then explode the image.
Sample the image with Paint Bucket + Command and paint the cone.

Tip: You don’t need to group the cone until you’re finished.

1 Like

Bless you! Yes I know about the png, but I had not extracted the black as yet. I was rushing like the proverbial headless chicken this morning and wanted to request help before heading out and fingers crossed that I would find that I had received help when I returned. And indeed thanks to you I did. I am now going to follow your instructions and I am sure the results will be exactly what I needed. Ta ever so much, you are a life saver. Cheers.

1 Like

I have to be doing something wrong Geo. I followed your instructions, but a: Not getting the option to explode the image, I would think because there is nothing to explode in the a png? Then b: thinking I was an idiot and you may have meant the cone, there is no option to explode that either? When I cmd/paint, this is what I got? Houston… I think I have a problem.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 11.53.50 am

Are you importing the image as an “image” and not a "texture’?

Keep it as an image until you have it positioned where you want it. Then explode it by right-clicking on the image and selecting “Explode”.

No, as a texture, (File>import>texture) and the explode I was able to get when I used one of my ruby’s to draw the cone rather than auto-folding it myself from a circle. I got a really pretty pattern, but not the way Geo showed that he was able to achieve what I was looking for. A real head scratcher for me this one. But I NEVER give up! lol This (First image) is what I am getting now and b: was using the Chopra method for applying an image to a curve which did not work for me either. and yes - I did scale the image.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 12.53.18 pm Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 11.53.50 am

And then there is this…

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 1.17.13 pm

Right click the texture, click the Texture option and check Projected.

Then use the paintbucket tool to sample the texture then pait it onto the cone.

This is the Skill Builder video that covers the “Projected” technique… hope it helps:

Thank you both. I do work for my nephew, and he just might fire me after this - :roll_eyes: and my parents growing up never used bad language and I don’t - but oh man am I coming close… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Will look at both videos immediately. I am so behind on this. I think he sends me harder and harder things to do in the hopes I will quit. Sheesh. This was using the “projected image”.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 1.26.48 pm

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.