Heal Deleted Surface

Two Screen Shots: Top and Bottom

Trying to heal (close) the open surface of the top shot.

I assumed I would need to retrace with line tool all four sides of the open space: that did not work.

But what did work was a single diagonal across the open space.
Does this mean that the four points of the original surface are out of plane, that is non-coplanar?

Will I need to redraw to get the point in-plane or is there way to find the bad point and pull it into plane?

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 6.03.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 6.08.56 PM.png

The fact that drawing the diagonal heals the faces indicates the edges of the hole arenā€™t coplanar. Either hide the diagonal of youā€™ll need to fix the bounding edges so they are all on the same plane.

2 Likes

ā€œHide the diagonalā€ ā€¦ brilliant

With working drawings in mind do you feel that this kind of inaccuracy is tolerable?

I guess it depends. Frankly, if I was expecting to build the thing in real life, I wouldnā€™t usually accept that out or coplanar-ness unless that was a design feature.

Well sure, but the inaccuracy in the model is minuscule Iā€™m assuming.

May I pester you with another question from this ā€œnewbieā€

Iā€™m simply trying to draw a line along the green path below. Computer tells me the edge is on a hidden layer.
I hid the layer to get access to the points so I could close that interior sloped surface.

How do I draw that simple line and close the surface?

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 6.38.46 PM.png

That may be and you need to decide how precisely you want to model. Iā€™m just saying I wouldnā€™t accept that if I was expecting the edges to be coplanar.

It sounds as if you arenā€™t using layers correctly. Layer 0 should always be active and all edges and faces need to remain on Layer 0. Only groups and components get assigned to other layers. Layers donā€™t provide any separation between primitives. The only way you can prevent edges and faces from merging is to encompass them in groups or components. Read: https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/controlling-visibility-layers

If you have more questions about your model, upload it so we can take a look at it.

1 Like

Thank you.
VERY helpful ā€¦ in the first case becasue I was trying to get a sense from an experienced user such as yourself what to expect in terms of accuracy, and now I know: accurate.

ā€¦ and second, it seems like youā€™ve located a big chunk of missing operational knowledge on my part. Big help DaveR, thanks again.

1 Like

With nothing selected but the ā€˜Moveā€™ tool hover over the endpoint marked red.
Once you see the tooltip ā€œEndpointā€ press and hold down the left mouse button. Now drag the endpoint away from its position and hit the [Left arrow key] to constrain the movement to green.
While the movement is constraint to the green axis, hover the cursor over the face marked by the green cross. This will limite the ā€œgreenā€ movement to where the plane of this face is, thus making the selected endpoint coplanar with the marked face. If done you should be able to delete the diagonal without loosing both triangular faces.

2 Likes

It worked. Very cool.
Thank you.

Sometimes itā€™s easier to delete the troublesome geometry and remodel it, rather than trying to fix it.