Having trouble making a case for electronics PCB

Hey d12dozr,
your instructional videos & pics are OUTSTANDING, it certainly helps me better understand what’s being imparted.

Way-cool

You know, now you mention it, I’ve just scaled back the zoom on the box to represent how it will print out & I can hardly read the writing on the screen. So you are 100% correct about that. I think the UPrint SE Plus has a SUPER-FINE resolution of around 0.25mm but, as you mention, that’s not going to cut the mustard if my text wall thickness is a mere 0.2mm.

Funny though, it looks GREAT when I’m zoomed in around 800% lol.

Cheers,
duBe

Thanks & no I haven’t,
I’ll take a look, thanks heaps for the pointer.

Cheers,
duBe

Ok, so that printer has a nozzle diameter of ~0.3mm(look at the layer thickness specifications for a clue), so anything smaller than that will not be printed. Making all the parts 2x nozzle diameter as a minimum is a good practice. So that means if you make a dummy cube 0.6mm x 0.6mm, you can drag it around the model and get a sense if any of your features need to be beefed up. Make sense?

1 Like

Oh yeah that’s spot-on buddy, simple yet so smart!

Man, this little box has caused me to learn SOOOOO much in just an afternoon, I’m so stoked to have stumbled across this forum & in particular d12dozer & Box.

Great advice with a smile!

3 Likes

Hi again d12dozr & Box,
not sure you’re interested but I took your advice & re-drew the case:

I took the lid from side to top & made everything a bit thicker.
I made the text as big as I could (it’s a pretty small box) it’s still around 0.55mm in some places, I hope it’ll print out alright.

A few things became clearer after re-drawing it with all your advice in mind; I was able to find errors & correct them more readily.

I know it’s just a simple box, but it’s a fun start, hopefully I can learn more & draw more interesting things to print in the future, thanks to your great advice.

Many thanks again,
duBe

2 Likes

Great work! You’re a good student - nice to see you pick up the concepts so quickly and work them into your design. You’ll learn even more after printing and then holding the design in your hand. :smile:

You can try this to fix the .stl files. https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/
I did most of my fix with it. Some of my work. - Justprint3d
Hope this help in any ways.

Cheers
SW

Hi again d12dozr,
I’m not sure if you’re interested but I printed the box out yesterday & it came out FANTASTIC.

I wish I could draw more “organic” shaped design but this is WAY-COOL anyway.

Thanks to you and Box and everyone who helped me get this far, I’m super-stoked for all the awesome help I’ve received.

Cheers,
duBe

1 Like

Hey SW,
thanks HEAPS for the info, looks very promising.

I took a look at your FB page, some really NICE work there; congrats!

Cheers,
duBe

Excellent work! Thanks for showing the finished product, I appreciate that.

Now that you have the “solid” and “minimum thickness” concepts down,
stepping up to organic modeling will be much easier. Whether you use
plugins or move to another program that is better suited to organic
modeling, the concepts are the same and will be helpful to you.