Having issues saving 'Cfile exception 11'

Hello, I am running sketchup and regardless of the file, i am unable to save it. And it displays Cfile exception 11 error message.

Help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a sharing access violation ??
When you installed you must do it correctly.
You can repair the installation without losing data as follows…
Close SketchUp & Layout [if open].
Find the SketchUp installer’s exe file - usually in your downloads folder.
Select its icon and right-click > context-menu > Run as administrator.
When a dialog appears choose ‘Repair’
When it’s completed restart SketchUp and see if it’s improved…

Run an installer’s exe in any other way can produce unexpected weirdness - often centered around permissions. So never double-click an exe to ‘Run’ it, even if your user-account has admin-powers it’s not the same thing…

thank you for the swift response!

The only issue i have is that i have sketchup through my uni. i get it with ‘appsanywhere’ where it is downloaded with ‘cloudpaging player’
Which means i cant find a sketchup installer file.

If your uni is using a SketchUp for university subscription for you - the installers can be found on myprofile.sketchup.com

If they aren’t using that and you are installing via another method. Then you will need to contact them as

1. It has possibly allowed you to install things incorrectly. This could be at your end or theirs.

2. It will need them to configure a license for you.

Those types of errors are often caused if there is another piece of software accessing the file as SketchUp tries to.
Cloud sync , network sync or antivirus type programs are common culprits.

Now we get more info…
If you are working on a SKP file that’s on a remote server it can [will] cause issue with permissions etc when trying to save remotely…
It’s best to work on copies locally on your PC, and save them locally; when you are done for that session you can copy the files across onto the network for final storage…
That way you have a copy ‘in-hand’.

Hi TIG,
I administer several Skethup licenses for a team of project managers and Designers.
We have Sketchup Pro installed on each of the individual staff member’s laptop but the files are saved in the central server. I avoid having our staff save locally in most cases because that opens up doors for other errors to be made. For example, two team members could open up the same project and if the file is stored centrally, they will get a warning that someone else is working on it. If the other team member is working on their desktop, this warning will not come up. Example two, a team member works on a file in their home office and forgets to update save to the server right away. Additionally, local saves often cause problems with paths for other programs - for example, a material is applied locally (or more often many materials), and when another team member sets up the render in vray, all of those bit maps link to someone’s harddrive so now the render-designer must resave and relink all of these files if they want to edit them.
For those reasons, I have been having our team save to the server. Usually (like 98%) it works great but I’ve been having some problems with Cfile exception 0 lately from an unknown cause. This always happens when the .skb file is not in the same folder -that’s clear- but it also happens at some other times where I don’t understand why.
Instead of asking the team to change their workflow-process, I would prefer to be able to understand and correct the problem.
Is there perhaps a comprehensive list of the things which could cause file exceptions? Particularily Exception 0 but I am interested in all exceptions.
We are running Sketchup 2021 und will be updating to Sketchup 2022 in February (we always stay 2 years behind as when we used to stay up-to-date, often, the plugins would not work for the first 6 months while Fredo and ThomThom updated - we need to be able to round corners :)).
All machines are Windows 10 (and will be updated to Windows 11 in June).
Sketchup Pro with Vray and I install on all computers, always as administrator.
If you could help to increase my knowledge in this area or perhaps refer me to any resources or forum posts I would appreciate it big time. I read your (TIG) posts quite often so thank you for all of your help.
Have a great day

Will the information on this page help?

1 Like

You can consult the reference @RLGL posted to find the meaning of all the integer CFileException values per MicroSoft. My suspicion is that both the bogus SketchUp error report of CFileException 0 (which ironically means “No error occurred”) and the report of CFileException 11 are related to the same issue that causes corruption of SketchUp files when saved anywhere other than the local disk. That theory is consistent with how despite years of complaints, the devs are not yet able to explain why the corruption happens. We are left with nothing but “if it hurts, don’t do that”!

1 Like

Especially when saved over the Internet or to a folder that is real time synced over the Internet. I understand the “Cfile…” errors are especially common with the latter, as SketchUp and the syncing function are fighting over the ownership of files.
SketchUp files, especially the ones that attract corruption, tend to be large. I wonder if saving over a network is somehow prone to errors where SU thinks the file has been successfully saved while in reality chunks have gone missing and replaced with zeros…

I think the error is within SketchUp, not the network per-se. The symptoms of portions or whole files corrupted with blocks of zero or seemingly random binary sounds to me like SketchUp is either not waiting long enough or not checking return values before releasing buffers back to the OS or reusing them itself, making them vulnerable to being overwritten with unrelated data. I don’t think it is the network per-se for two reasons: 1) network protocols include error detection and correction data that they use to validate that the correct contents were received, and 2) we don’t hear about other apps having this problem - they may encounter errors when saving over a network but they detect them and either fix automatically or tell the user to retry without destroying the original data.

2 Likes

Isn’t the internet also a network? Or do internet protocols work differently?

The internet is a global network built atop the TCP and IP communication protocols with things such as HTTP layered atop them.

Yes, I know that. But my question is if internet protocols don’t use error detection?

Yes, they do.

Do you mean this applies to both the internet and local networks?

Yes it does

1 Like

Thanks Steve, now it is clear to me what you mean. It’s not always easy to get what someone means for English is not my mother-tongue…

1 Like

Thanks to RLGL for the Microsoft link. I do find that information very interesting. Realistically this is really a bit too generalto correct this Sketchup-Specific situation but interesting none-the-less.
I think that slbaumgartner (and others) is probably correct that this only occurs when saving to a network and also correct that this is caused by a coding issue in Sketchup directly. For example, Microsoft Excel also creates automatic backups on our network but not problems with Cfile exceptions.

I would like to approach this with pragmatic take and just be able to inform users as to:

1. Prevention - Best practice for receiveing the least possible errors (the files will be large and on-network though so those may not be included as suggestions in my breifing). The Cfile exceptions are rare - I don’t have stats on this but probably less than 1 in 100. If we have 100 saves a day though, then I get this issue running over my desk a lot :). I would love more input from you guys here on how to best reduce frequency if that is not a bother.

2. Correction - How to best respond when it does come up. Here is my suggestion for this:
    2a) Draw a new item into the file - we will use a large red cube in our office. This object will be our proof that all changes have been saved.
    2b) Save as new name
    2c) Close Sketchup
    2d) Open newest .skp version with no exception
    2e) Check that red cube is present
    2f) Delete both files with CFile Exception - both the .skp and the .skb

Thanks to all for the great input!

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.