Hangs upon opening SketchUp Pro 2017

It will work for a session after reinstall . Then when I try to open again it hangs and never opens halfway through default tray population.

OK it does show that SketchUp is using the Nvidia GPU.

… as the screenshot shows.

Have you ever repaired via right-click “Run as administrator” ? (You never actually said.)

at what stage of install do I right click to run as admin?
thx, David

Right at the beginning. Launch the installer using right-click->Run as Administrator.

1 Like

Find the installer exe file’s icon - probably in your Downloads folder.
Select it, right-click > context-menu > “Run as administrator”

If it’s not listed you might have logged in as the administrator - you should be logged in as the user who is to use SketchUp - that user can have admin-powers, BUT that’s not the same as running it properly as outlined…
[Edit: Dang! @slbaumgartner beat me to it!]

1 Like

was working for a while when I launched program as admin. but now its back to being hung up right before the menus load. This is so frustrating.

You were NOT instructed to ‘launch’ SketchUp as the administrator.
This can mask issues that have resulted from a bad installation.
However, it also causes issues like blocking drag/drop of image files into a model - because a base-level app [Windows-Explorer] cannot affect an elevated app [SketchUp run as admin].

What was said was that you need to INSTALL SketchUp properly.
Please reread the last few posts.

They are about installing SketchUp by running its installer exe file using “Run as administrator”
NOT running SketchUp itself as admin !

What extensions do you have installed ? (The extensions load just before the menus are built, so it could be an extension crashing and hanging SketchUp.)

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.