Google Earth terrain not connecting

Using 2015 Pro, imported terrain groups have vertical offsets from each other. What am I missing?

Can you share screenshots or sample model? From what area are you importing?

New here T, please bear with me, starting with a screen shot. Approx. 41N 79W

And model, can’t be made small enough for upload on forum. Note that I am getting a load error that can’t help. Need to pull cloud out of 2015 for now.

Cloud was updated just days ago.

Cloud v8.0bx [ Version Updated: 2014-11-04 ]

Thanks Geo, no more load error. I will retry my GE import steps shortly. Just for info. the only thing that was done in the model before importing GE terrain was that I also imported a USGS DEM that was created from a NED 1/9 .img file.

That error look to be related to our Ruby 2.0 upgrade in SU2014. Or did have that working with SU2014?

@ChrisFullmer - have you heard of such issue before?

I searched for that on Google Earth and fetched a few terrains - but it all aligned.
Can you try to repeat this with extensions disabled? Just in case some extension you have is adjusting the geolocation of the model…

Hi Chopdog,

Here’s how I tried to reproduce the problem.

I imported GE terrain at 41°n : 79°w via Model Info > Geo-location > Add Location.
Then I brought in two more via Model Info > Geo-location > Add More Imagery
All three imports worked as expected.

@chopdog you say your, “imported terrain groups have vertical offsets from each other.”
What you haven’t said is how the imported terrain groups align horizontally.
It’s impossible for us to ascertain their horizontal alignment from a single oblique screenshot.

Sparse information only leads to guesswork.
So, here’s only a guess.

I notice the general topography at 41°n : 79°w is rather steep, say, 12% slope.
Consequently, if there is a horizontal gap between adjacent terrain imports; there will be corresponding discrepancies in their perimeter heights as well.

It’s not quite clear to me what @chopdog is trying to create.
If the goal is to combine multiple terrain imports into one functional terrain then it’s best to insure the TINs overlap and then clean up their intersections.

Past experience shows the geometry of multiple GE terrain imports never aligns perfectly.
Making several imports into one functional terrain (one surface, no gaps, overlaps or stray edges) is not quick.
And subsequent operations may be difficult or impossible unless the terrain is truly functional.
Here’s an example from the pages of our old forum.

One can clean up the mesh manually or try the Terrain Tools plugin authored by sdmitch.
Either method relies upon the TINs overlapping to begin with.

Apologies for leaving a thread hang. Had to push on. I will eventually attempt to recreate the problem since I saved copies along the way.

No. Never installed in 2014. The copy causing the error may have been downloaded for 2014. ??? New install and no errors with 2015.

Eventually.

Horizontally, everything aligned correctly. I understand about the feedback, I will improve. dejavu

More precisely, 41.050000N 78.816667W
It seemed my best path to proceed with USGS NED data to reduce or avoid seams. I am now using an area 41.0475N 78.82W to 41.0525N 78.8125W. Started over with this larger DEM area, removed the model location and GE layers, manually set model location to simplify coordination with the new TIN. All new Google Earth imports are perfect and the GE terrain matches the NED developed terrain well.

I was exploring/learning different methods of terrain modeling based on various source data I have.

1. USGS 1/9 arc-sec free download. The entire current site that I am working on is all within one 15’x15’ tile. In the future I will connect this site to an adjacent project which will itself be extended along a river and possibly over a watershed. I’m interested in what I can do combining SU, free GIS software, and HEC-RAS.
    2.Google Earth terrain. Still using the images now.
  2. Point Elevations from two unrelated historical projects.
  3. Leveling profiles and x-section data collected myself.
  4. Also going to try using a *.LAS file as a source.

I am eager to try many tools and extensions and begin to merge my data with larger terrain models. I am not a total newb. I started with Apple BASIC, COBOL, and FORTRAN pre-77. Ruby sounds fun.