Goodbye iMac, Hello Alienware.........? Advice Requested

My 2015 GPU is an Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB and the one I am on now is a Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB.

It’s got to be something to do with the new iMacs then. Can’t think what else it can be.

Sounds like the same 2015 MacBook Pro model as mine then.

Possibly, I had so many CAD related issues with iMac’s I permanently moved to a laptop. When the 5K iMac came out I had four in one year…! However the test group for SketchUp is pretty diverse, I can’t see how they would have not stress tested such a large segment of the hardware market.
What CPU have you got?

The thing is, the iMac runs everything else perfectly.

CPU in the iMac is i7 4.2GHz thats also gets a boost to something higher.
CPU in MacBook Pro is i7 2.2GHz and Layout runs fine on that.

I can easily work on a 1GB+ PSD file, doing full blown retouching, (I occasionally do Fashion Photography), with no issues or lags whatsoever.
It runs Twinmotion like lightening, even with only a 4GB GPU, (looking to add an eGPU later).
It’s lightening fast using Indigo render.

Just absolutely stumped why it struggles zooming in Layout on a 1 page document about 6MB.

1 Like

When I first started to use play with layout it was with my boss looking over my shoulder as I tried to get dimensions to work. Coming from SolidWorks and Fusion 360 it seemed kludgy and I dismissed it completely. I then read Nick Sonders book “Sketchup and Layout for Architecture” and saw that layout was being used in a legitimate workflow. So I jumped in and started to play and learn the places were it needs some finesse and where it is strong. It is definitely part of my work flow now and is making my life so much easier.

1 Like