Go through another component with FollowMe

Hi, I am trying to draw such intersecting objects. I am now drawing the one from the left using the FollowMe tool along the line. While I automatically went through the first of these transversal components without a problem, the second one is no longer possible. I can’t find the reason for this. Can you help me how to do it so that I can use FollowMe to pass through other objects?

Possibly a break in the path. Share the .skp so we can see what you are working with.

Here you go:
dom.skp (3.0 MB)

I can get around this problem by turning off the layer with those transverse elements, but in general I was curious how to do it when they are on.

First thing I notice is that you are using layers (tags) incorrectly and you aren’t grouping geometry. ALL edges and faces should be created and remain with Layer 0 assigned to them. Layer 0 should be active at all times. Layers in SketchUp do not provide separation. You need to be using groups and/or components to provide separation between parts of the model.

The other thing I see if the path is broken into many short segments where it crosses the existing extrusions. I would expect that you’ve missed selecting at least one of those edges when trying to run Follow Me.
Screenshot - 6_27_2022 , 1_21_09 PM

When all of the edge segments are selected Follow Me runs just fine. It does create a bunch of geometry that merges with existing geometry, though.
follow

I think the easiest thing to do would be to start over and use correct methods for grouping and for layer usage.

I fixed the incorrect layer/tag usage.
Screenshot - 6_27_2022 , 1_31_06 PM

I see you also have a lot of incorrectly oriented faces. There should be no visible blue back faces in your model.

1 Like