Generate interactive dashboards from SketchUp models

If you are interested in going from this…

…to this…

…in a single click, then we should talk

To give some more information: I really love PowerBI. I believe it is a wonderful, fairly intuitive tool to give insight in your data. But, what I really miss is a way to show spatial relations between business objects. For example, if you have data about rooms in a building (temperature, co2 levels, humidity, …) or data about products that are located somewhere (in a warehouse f.e.) I would really want to see that spatial context. I want to see where which room is located in the building.
On the other hand, we have SketchUp, which is like the most intuitive tool in creating 3d objects and thus also in creating this spatial context. But, what SketchUp really lacks is usage of data. I mean, extensions are needed to even add attributes to objects (except for those 6 or 7 ones in entity info)…

I decided to combine both. I decided to create an extension that allows me to generate 3d microsoft powerbi visuals directly from SketchUp.

Is it ready? Absolutely not. Are the demo’s over here real? absolutely yes. Do these models come from Sketchup, yes again. With a single press of a button? … Not there yet.

However: I am looking for people that see the potential in having such a solution and are willing to get in touch. I am dedicated in getting this out when it is finished.

4 Likes

For those of you willing to give such a dashboard a try, here is one I made out of a SketchUp model in a few clicks: https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiYjQ5ZGNiMWEtNWNjNi00ODIxLTkwNDAtNDJiMTE5MjE5YTdhIiwidCI6ImFlYzBjYTkzLTc5MGEtNDU0MC05NjY3LWI2ODdmNjViNGNkZCIsImMiOjl9

2 Likes

And, maybe even better news, the extension you can see in the movie below is currenlty being reviewed by the SketchUp team (although I think they are currently spending their time with their family).
So, normally, in a few days from now, you will all be able to craft 3d interactive dashboards directly from your SketchUp models.

2 Likes

And it is live!
Thank your to the SketchUp team for approving the extension :heart:

Let’s get in touch if you want to give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is becoming quite a monologue. So, maybe I am not good at pointing out the possibilities and the versatility of this tool. After all, you’ve only seen some videos of a warehouse in this thread.
What if I told you the goal is to be able to link any data, with any kind of 3d model? It should not matter if you have iot (temperature co2 levels, …) data about rooms in a hotel or office building, or scheduling data about a construction site, or stock numbers of products in a warehouse, or energy yield of individual solar panels in an energy farm, or, like in the following case, occupancy levels of waiting queues in a vaccination center:

To show the possibilities I took a few hours to draw a SketchUp model of a totally fictional vaccination center with different waiting queues and mocked some data in powerbi. In a few clicks I was able to craft an interactive 3D dashboard (that can also be published online and even been show in real time in the actual vaccination center). Here is the result:

I’ll leave it up to you to recognize the scale figures that have been used :slight_smile: